Are you new to the ObesityHelp Community? Introduce yourself

3lilmunchkins
on 6/12/14 9:48 am

Hi,

I'm new to ObesityHelp. I'm still in the preliminary stages of preparing for WLS. My first appointment isn't until mid-July and its for an informational seminar. I'm married with two handsome sons, ages 2 and 3, and a four month old daughter. I'll be having my surgery at Madigan Military Hospital in Washington State. I'm just hoping to get as much information as I can so that I can be prepared for what life will be like after WLS. I think that the one goal that I most hope to accomplish would be to some day be able to run a marathon. It is always something that I dreamed about doing and never thought would be possible at my current weight.

Thanks!
Bianca

“Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles.”
~Helen Keller

Member Services
on 6/16/14 4:04 am - Irvine, CA

Hi 3lilmunchkinds  

We are so happy to have you here with us!  Way to go on your upcoming seminar.  Hearing your surgeon speak about the procedure and having an opportunity to ask questions will help you feel better about the process.  Here is a great tip, Put a note pad and pen in a room you are in a lot.  As you go through your day you will find questions will pop in your head, about the procedure, before surgery prep, post surgery questions.  As they come to you, write them down that way you will be sure and ask all the questions you have when you go to the seminar.  Most of us find we think about them and then when we are in front of the surgeon we forget 

We look forward to reading about your success!

Regards,

Cathy & Kathy

Member Services Team

Onfire
on 6/16/14 7:41 pm

Welcome, Bianca

The informational seminar will help in a lot of areas. I attended my first one and it really opened my eyes to the different possibilities. It is definitely a life change. Just received the PCP from the heart doctor for the approval of the surgery. Now is the financial part and jump start. I will be keeping you and your family in prayer. 

niwillia02
on 6/22/14 10:25 am - milwaukee, WI

hi guys,

i am nieka i am interested in getting the gastric sleeve surgery, tho i am a little nervous im exicted about discovering the new me. i am in the very early stages tho i have a doctor in mind. i would like to hear stories good or bad about surgery just so i can go in with my eyes open. also if there are any good/ great doctor in the wisconsin area i would love to hear about them

amroberts85
on 6/12/14 4:12 pm - Madera, CA

Hello Everyone :)

My name is Ashley and I am 28 years old. I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, being a little girl in 2nd grade til high school I was always the "pretty, fat friend". Things have gotten worse after I had my son in 2006. I am now at my highest weight of 288 pounds, my lowest before I had my son was 160. So YES, I am hoping to get the gastric bypass,I have changed my diet and I am doing everything I can to lose weight but its so frustrating because it keeps coming back. I have severe depression and anxiety, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and I also have PCOS and Thyroid Disease. If anyone has any comments or questions about me, Please ask!! lol. Thanks for having me.

Member Services
on 6/16/14 4:05 am - Irvine, CA

Welcome Ashley,

We all here at OH understand what you are going through.  Here are a couple of suggestions. If you have not done so already give your insurance a call and find out if they cover WLS. If they do, what procedure and if there are any pre-op qualifications.  

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.  As bad as you think it has gotten you are saying enough is enough and starting the process of doing something about it. That first step is the hardest!   ​Since you are interested in the RNY, come on over to the forum and introduce yourself. They are a great bunch of folks and would be glad to support you in any way they can.  

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)  

We look forward to joining you on your journey!  

Regards,

Cathy & Kathy

Member Services Team

redalmond
on 6/13/14 6:26 am

Hi my name is Dawn.  I had gastric bypass 10.5 months ago.  Pre op weight 317.  Surgery weight 290.  Current weight is 181.  I am interested in seeing a normal menu of your typical day if you are over 8months out from surgery. 8 months seems to be when my appetite really started back. I am past the protein shakes phase. I do not like the protein shakes and my MD wants real food.  I am looking for real food intake.   Any help with typical daily meals or tips is appreciated.   Having weight loss surgery has been the hardest yet best thing I have ever encountered.  

Member Services
on 6/16/14 4:06 am - Irvine, CA

Hi redalmond,

Way to go on your weight loss    What an inspiration you are!  If you have not posted this on the RNY forum, please do.

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Here is a link to our recipe forum

Recipes Forum

We have a member here called eggface, she rocks with the recipes! Here is a link to her profile page.

Eggface's Profile   Gastric Bypass, LAP-BAND® System, DS and Other Surgical and Non-Surgical Weight Loss Options. www.obesityhelp.com/member/mdvicari/

We hope these will suggestion will help you get over that 8 month speed bump!  Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Cathy & Kathy

Member Services Team

WHS
on 6/16/14 12:18 am

In October 2010, I weighed 404 pounds. I could no longer participate in my favorite activities, such as bicycle riding, snow skiing, or playing soccer. Like many over-sized people, I could not fit into theater, restaurant, or airplane seats. I had tried medically supervised diet programs, started (and stopped) many exercise programs, and attempted to follow dozens of fad diets, all to no success.

On October 4, 2010, I underwent gastric bypass surgery, with Dr. Sabir performing the Roux-en-Y procedure at St. John’s Weight Loss Center of Excellence in Madison Heights, Michigan. 

One year later, on October 3, 2011, I spoke at the St John’s ‘Homecoming’ event. At this event, people who have previously undergone gastric bypass surgery and others who are considering the procedure meet to share stories. I weighed 202 pounds – exactly half my former weight. I was training for a 500-mile bike ride. I had recently ran my first 5k in 10 years, and best of all in my mind, I fit into theater, restaurant, and airplane seats without any issues.

Today (June 2014) I weigh 205 pounds. My blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are all perfect. I maintain my weight and stay very physically active. I take aerobic and weight training exercise classes five days a week. I study Tai Chi, ride my bike and snow skis whenever possible. I also carefully manage my diet and nutritional needs, using my gastric bypass tool to help me every single day.

But more than simply losing weight – a GREAT accomplishment in and of itself – my three and a half year journey has brought me tremendous improvement in health and fitness, in frame of mind and perspective on life, in my energy levels and ability to focus, in the way I use my time, in my relationships with others. In fact, every single aspect of my life has changed. I’ve been born into a New Life… and I intend to ride it for everything it’s got. 

[Removed last paragraph to comply with Terms of Service.]

Member Services
on 6/16/14 4:06 am - Irvine, CA

What an inspirational story and congratulations on a hard fight fought and won. Doesn't it feel wonderful to be doing things you only dreamed of. Or to be honest, only watched on TV. We all use to sit there eating our pizza and bad food and would think as we watched others bike, run, buy regular clothes "if only".

Thank you for leaving a great review for your surgeon.  Our members will love hearing about your story.

Regards,

Cathy & Kathy

Member Services Team

Most Active