Are you new to the ObesityHelp Community? Introduce yourself

Member Services
on 7/15/14 5:54 am - Irvine, CA

Are you new to the ObesityHelp community? 

Are you a new member of the OH community?  Are you pre-op, post-op or considering weight loss surgery? 

Please introduce yourself so members can welcome you and get to know you. 

Wanda1118
on 6/12/14 1:23 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I am a newbie here. I am sitting here beside my phone waiting for it to ring with my surgery date! I went into my surgeon Monday and he confirmed I have done all I need to do, but his nurse was out on a retreat and coming back in today, so I am nervously awaiting that call. I am having the VSG. The more I read the more confused I am becoming with what to eat/drink for the 2 week pre-op diet. I would appreciate any help on this.

Member Services
on 6/12/14 7:06 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Wanda,

Welcome to ObesityHelp.  We'rre glad that you have joined the OH community.

Did your phone ring yet with the good news of your surgery date? 

Your surgeon will provide you with his or her protocol for you to follow as a pre-op and also what to eat at the various stages of being post-op. 

Have you checked out the Sleeve message board?  If not, I suggest that you review the message board for past posts and you could even post questions of other members too.  You'll get lots of support and information on this message board and also the Sleeve message board too. 

Please make a post when you have your surgery date.  I'm excited for you!

Best regards,
Cathy
Member Services Team

Onfire
on 6/18/14 5:38 am
Helenation
on 7/3/14 10:42 pm
On June 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM Pacific Time, Wanda1118 wrote:

I am a newbie here. I am sitting here beside my phone waiting for it to ring with my surgery date! I went into my surgeon Monday and he confirmed I have done all I need to do, but his nurse was out on a retreat and coming back in today, so I am nervously awaiting that call. I am having the VSG. The more I read the more confused I am becoming with what to eat/drink for the 2 week pre-op diet. I would appreciate any help on this.

Hello I'm new here, My surgry for RNY has been aproved, my surgery date is pending to one more appointment that I have to go through with the pulmonologyt, after that, I should have my surgery date, which should be the end of July if beginning of August, only becaue the pulmonologyst didn't have any appointment opened before July 17, otherwise I could've had my surgery before that. I used to have the band, which unfortunately didn't work for me for almot 10 years, was removed in January, since then I've gained about 40 pounds, and I'm at 250 now. This time I decided for RNY, my BMI is 40 and I thought I could benefit fro the mal aborbsion and also get rid of my diabetes. I know a bit about ARNY becuse when I had the band I did a lot of researh, but I hear now about the DS (Duodenal Switch) which is supposed to be even better than RNY, or nore effective, yet more complicated, I would lik help deciding, and your opinons ad advises regarding both surgeries, ccording to what you know, I know we're all not experts, but we have done reearh and I'm a bit confused between the DS and RNY, I don't seem to grasp the "more" benefits with the DS to justify the DS beings so more riskier surgery, but maybe I'm wrong? could you be so kind and give me so answers, or direct me where I can get more ansers and advices?  I would really appreciate it very mcuh. Helena

Supena
on 6/12/14 2:37 am

Hello, I am new on here. I just had rny surgery on June 3rd 2014. I have been lucky so far, because I have had no issues, as far as pain, nausea or vomiting. I just had my first bm today, thank god! My stomach felt so bloated and full for the past day or so and this morning I woke up with cramps, but finally had a bowl movement and I am feeling much better. My mom was here with me during my first week post op and she made some soup for me and added puréed vegetables to it. I know we are not to have puréed foods until after 2 weeks, but I was wondering if anyone else had puréed foods before the 2 weeks? And how much damage if any could I have cost myself by eating this? Thank you.

Member Services
on 6/16/14 4:45 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Supena,

Glad that you're feeling better.  Having a bowel movement after your surgery shows your body is adjusting well and you're healing.  It takes quite a few days for the anesthesia and air pumped into you to get out of your system. 

I highly recommend you follow your surgeons nutrition protocols and progress to the next stage of post-op intake when it says to.  If you're concerned about the soup and added pureed veggies might have done damage, give your surgeon's office a call.  Compliance with progressing to the food stages when they instruct you to is important.  Give them a call so they know but so you have peace of mind. 

Welcome to ObesityHelp.  It is great that you're so early post-op and have joined OH.  There are lots of tools that we can use that will help to support you on your new healthy lifestyle.  Check out the tools you'll find on MY OH at the top blue nav bar. 

It is nice to meet you -

Best regards,

Cathy/Member Services Team

jmhendricks80
on 6/12/14 8:50 am

Hello.  I am new here.  After much research and discussion with friends and coworkers who have had procedures, I finally decided to move forward with surgery (d/s).  Problem - when I tried to talk to my family doctor yesterday, he completely shut me down.  He interrupted with, "No - you can just forget about that," and then he proceeded with the guilt trip, basically calling me lazy and weak willed.  So I'm hoping someone can recommend a surgery-friendly PCP in Tampa, FL.   Thank you! 

Cathy W.
on 6/16/14 12:06 am

It is nice to meet you! 

I had the same sort of interaction with my PCP when I talked about WLS.  However, after I had my surgery and my first blood work came back perfectly, he became a believer in WLS. 

You might make your same post on the Florida message board so members in your area can reply to you with PCP options. 

I find mixed opinions outside of ObesityHelp with respect to WLS.  A couple of weeks ago, I came across a very insensitive ortho surgeon about me having WLS and the topic of obesity.  Still to this day, even at 13 years post-op, his comments upset me.  Don't let anyone, whether health care related or not, with limited thinking, get you down as far as being an advocate for your own health.

Beautifullady2011
on 6/12/14 9:06 am - Prince Albert , Canada

Hello to all! I am a newbie here on obesity help, it took me awhile to get on one of these sites but, hey.. I am here n I made it! Allow me to introduce myself, I am Jillian , I am from Prince Albert , sask, CA. I had my surgery June.22 nd /2011 with dr. Almanza at Jerusalem hospital in Tj, Mex! I had a good experience all is well with me n my surgerversery is comming up! Yay, 3 yrs! I'm doing Awsome!, feeling greAt. Had a baby this past yr, and have managed to keep my weight off!:) :) I'm am officially ready.. For the plastics lol