I know I did this for myself but...

kaniky
on 10/27/15 12:09 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed that I haven't gotten more feedback from other people in my life. I've lost 61 pounds in 5 months and while I still see myself in the mirror as the person who started this journey, I honestly thought that others would have noticed and made comment.

I've been working in the same place with 100+ people for 19 years. I think two people have even mentioned my weight loss. I don't know, maybe I'm just having a P.L.O.M. (poor little ole me) kind of day. Did you expect or hope that others would notice and say something or did you want to fly under the radar?

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

peachpie
on 10/27/15 1:26 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

It depends on who I hoped would notice. IE- I saw my son's friend's mother the other day. Hadn't seen her since before surgery...I was hoping she'd acknowledge...but she didn't. I care less about people at work noticing. I switched jobs immediately post-op, so this place has no means of comparison for me. Two have noticed though. I see others who obviously notice (via there stares) who I know will never say anything (cause they don't like me). I just add a little extra pep in my step when they stare ;-)

I had a reaction from someone one day that left me puzzled. She commented I had lost a ton of weight but "all of it was lost from my face". I was actually beating myself up wondering if I'd "only" lost noticeable weight in my face. From there on I realized people noticing can be a double edge sword.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/15 1:35 pm

I would not worry about it one way or the other. Live your life! Be HAPPY! LOVE yourself!

You did it for YOU... and when those you don't see often, can't find you in a crowd, or don't realize who you are until you speak, you will have the last laugh..

People in society want to see us fail, they do not realize that you have a permanent solution to a permanent problem. They want you to swell back up like a toad frog... but guess what?! you are not going to do that... because you have a wonderful tool in your toolbox.

Work your job and your plan.. Take care of yourelf...Ignore the others , the ones who love and care for you will see and notice and be proud, the others are not important.

killinmesmalls77
on 10/27/15 2:25 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I wouldn't worry about people at work. We had a big sales meeting in August after I had lost 76 pounds and no one said anything to me. Later on, I found out a couple of people mentioned something to another co-worker about me looking good. I was a bit annoyed that no one said anything, but with everyone needing to be so politically correct now days, no one feels comfortable commenting directly and no one wants to hurt feelings by saying we look good now, because that would mean we didn't look good before, etc.

Just know that people are noticing. And like you said, this is for you. Keep up the great work on your journey!

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

White Dove
on 10/27/15 2:29 pm - Warren, OH

My guess is that you have always been neatly dressed in clothes that flattered your figure.

Most likely your excess weight was not that noticeable to others. People are absorbed in their own lives and their own issues. I had people at work ask me if I had changed my hairstyle because they noticed something different about me. That was after going from size 20 to size 4.

The people who were most interested were those who struggled with the own weight. Others just were not interested.

A few family members expected me to fail and gain the weight back. I fooled them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/15 2:33 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Just because they don't say something doesn't mean they don't notice. A lot of people probably just feel it's rude to say anything. I get the opposite -- working in healthcare, we're a pretty open bunch, and everybody thinks everyone else's medical history is their business whether I want to talk about it or not.

cptprkchp
on 10/28/15 7:33 am, edited 10/28/15 12:33 am

4FurKids-

YES YES and YES!! I had the same thing happen. Work in healthcare and everyone is up your ass about it!! lol

OP-

This is exactly what I was going to say. Weight is a touchy subject and could be considered inappropriate bringing it up in a work setting. It also depends on whether or not you told people about the surgery--one never knows exactly why someone loses a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time so if people don't know about your surgery they may actually think the weight loss could be from some kind of illness which would be inappropriate to ask you about. It could be a million different things but the person that matters is YOU and your opinion.

Deanna798
on 10/28/15 8:33 am
RNY on 08/04/15

My husband thought I was hot at 291 pounds, and he still thinks I'm hot. THAT is really what matters.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/15 8:34 am

I will be honest some people just do not care. Some do not want to insult you. I know that one sounds weird. Also some people never saw you outsides they saw the kind person you are.

When you see people all the time they don't see change. When you see someone who has not seen you in a while they will be like holy crap.

Take pictures of yourself and keep looking at the difference. I sometimes look at myself and see the person I was at 322 pounds. I am getting better.

NHPOD9
on 10/27/15 3:26 pm

I think I had lost 60lbs before anyone said anything to me. And then the floodgates opened and it became a subject everyone had to mention. While some folks love the attention and comments, I was happy when they ended and I was no longer the center of attention.

I'm sure people have noticed, but it is a hard subject to broach, especially if you've lost (and then gained back) weight in the past. I guess if you really wanted to talk about it, you could bring up the subject yourself and break the ice.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius