I know I did this for myself but...

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/27/15 5:09 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Girl, you do you & don't worry about whoever does or doesn't make a comment. Your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters. Besides I'd think most people who'd have an ounce of sense in their head would be polite enough not to make the first move to you & bring up the weight loss. Some people don't want to be rude, unlike someone else who'd like to comment on how "hot" you are, or aren't.

People didn't comment on my weight loss at first, but eventually I think they saw I was open about my surgery, they see me ride my bike to work, notice the fitbit/apple watch on my wrist & it opened up the door to talk about fitness, diet etc. Some people just might not know how to approach you, especially about something that for some is a sensitive subject, that's right up there with how old are you. Weight & age, be polite now, already being called maam. When did I go from miss to maam? LOL

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Pokemom
on 10/27/15 9:38 pm, edited 10/27/15 2:39 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

In some wqys, feedback is a mixed bag. i understand that people do not always know what to say. But honestly, I wish I got less feedback. At least, I really dislike this:

You've lost a TON of weight! How much have you LOST?"

or this:

Wow! You've lost weight! What did you DO?

i especially dislike this from people I have not seen for a while, who I do not know well. Why do they think they know me well enough to ask such personal questions? And why do they make it about just the weight and want to know the gossip magazine details? And why do they often ask it in a loud way when a lot of other people are around? I honestly find this offensive.

instead, what I appreciate are comments like these:

"you look so good."

"you must feel good."

"you must have been working hard."

"good for you."

"I am so proud of you."

And then, they go on to ask me my opinion about something, or to ask about my family, or to share something else to further our human connection.

So, try not to feel bad. Maybe people are just being polite, and respecting your privacy, or respecting that you are more than your appearance, and they want to honor that. If they have not noticed already, they will soon. But that does not mean they will say something.

NYMom222
on 10/27/15 11:07 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Except for a few close friends who knew I had surgery no one really noticed until I hit 80lbs lost.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

beachybikegirl
on 10/27/15 11:13 pm

Hey Girl,

I experienced this too, I wouldn't say I was disappointed but it was mind baffling to me that I had lost quite a bit a of weight and very few people commented at work. Even out side of work including my mother who knew about the surgery has not made one comment! Anyway, not sure what happened but one day last week everyone started commenting, I now believe that is my lucky outfit!! As I walked down the hallways people who barely talked to me were asking, Hey, what are you doing, you look so skinny....I'm 58lbs down from surgery. iloveravens mentioned that people started noticing her weight loss at work at 70lbs lost. So it will happen, just hang in there! Also know, people are noticing, they just haven't commented yet!

RNY on 6/25/15 Height 5.8 HW/SW 247 CW 142 (Normal BMI 21.5) GW 145

Hit my Goal on 5/1/2016 going for more...

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/28/15 5:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had lost nearly 75 pounds before anyone who wasn't close to me "noticed" ---

As hard as it is to imagine, you will soon wish people would stop commenting ...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Heather P.
on 10/28/15 5:37 am

I totally get what you are saying, but I think a lot of time people are afraid to say something about your weight (like I would be) because you never know why someone is losing the weight, are they sick? dieting? etc... Also some people may just be a tad bit jealous and don't want to acknowledge your great accomplishment. Don't take it personally. I don't ever say anything about someone else's weight loss unless I know for sure they would be ok with it. I don't feel anyone else's weight is my business.

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

catwoman7
on 11/2/15 6:38 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I once was on a committee with a woman who probably weighed around 400 lbs. I ran into her a few years later - she was normal weight. I didn't even recognize her. I went on and on about how great she looked. Turns out she had ovarian cancer and died a few months later. Yikes.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
Recent Topics