What's on the menu today, RNYers?

Dcgirl
on 4/24/14 4:01 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I hate being tricked with surimi!  I call it "kay-rab".  I'm sorry it wasn't good :(  I also love shrimp - lots of bang for your buck (tons of protein, no carbs, low calorie).  I bought langoustines at Trader Joe's - they are kind of like a combination squat lobster and shrimp.  Sweet and delicious!  Harris Teeter is a name of a grocery store chain we have and it was in the "easy and prepared" food section by the already-grilled chicken and rotisserie chicken :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/14 4:05 am

I hate to buy stuff pre-made.Yesterday on my day off from work I emptied my closet out.I had to get rid of my old clothes.I was trying to figure out why I have so many.I am a hoarder.I have so many pairs of shoes it is disgusting.But that is a whole other topic.

It taught me a lesson to make sure I always read before I eat.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/24/14 12:55 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Good morning, all!

Em, you would be an adorable bald person!  But you don't have to worry about that, you won't be bald. I started with the hair falling out earlier than you did, but mine is already slowing down. I can see scalp in some places where I didn't before, but it's not terribly noticeable. I'm telling you, a cute short cut would be a great way to camouflage the problem. Continue with the coloring, by all means. Permanent hair color "fluffs" the cuticle on your hair, making it look thicker and fuller.

That chicken breast sounds delish! I may have to try to put something like that together myself. For now, it's a seafoody kind of day. (Shut up, spellcheck, it is SO a word!) Oh, and I ended up trying those shirataki noodles you recommend, finally. They were...surprisingly not bad. I used the "dry them out in a hot skillet" method, then tossed them in a little olive oil, butter and parmesan cheese. They definitely ended up being an acceptable substitute for a big ole plate of pasta prepared the same way. Aaaannd, I finally got around to trying quinoa. Good grief, why didn't I do that sooner? It's totally yummy! I mixed up a bit of it with a little spaghetti sauce, and it was every bit as good as white rice, but with much lower carbs and higher protein. Even the husbeast liked it, and he just buttered it and added salt and pepper to it. I'm going to work up a tabouli salad version using quinoa instead of the wheat, I think it will be a great substitute.

So, today's menu:

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Kraft - String Cheese 2% Milk, 2 stick 140 0 9 16 380 0  
  140 0 9 16 380 0  
Lunch
Fresh Express - Sweet Butter Lettuce, 85 g 10 2 0 1 10 1  
Generic - Jumbo Lump Crab Meat, 3 oz 71 0 1 15 336 0  
Heinz - Ketchup, 1 Tbsp (17g) 20 5 0 0 160 4  
Horseradish - Prepared, 1 tsp 2 1 0 0 16 0  
Avocados - Raw, 0.5 cup, cubes 120 6 11 2 5 0  
  223 14 12 18 527 5  
Dinner
Basic - Extra Large Cooked Shrimp , 3 oz 60 0 1 13 300 0  
Oil - Olive, 1 tsp 40 0 5 0 0 0  
Average All Brands - Fresh Garlic, Chopped, 3 g 4 1 0 0 0 0  
Quinoa - Quinoa, Cooked, 0.25 cup (185g) 56 10 1 2 3 0  
  160 11 7 15 303 0  
Snacks
Jay Robb's - Whey Protein, Vanilla, 30 g 110 1 0 25 150 0  
Milk - Silk - Almond Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla, 1 cup 30 1 3 1 160 0  
  140 2 3 26 310 0  

Totals 663 27 31 75 1,520 5  
Your Daily Goal 800 30 36 90 2,000 20

V - On track

W - I'm slacking a bit on this for some reason, need to pick up the pace

E - Half hour on the treadmill, coming up!

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

AnnyBananny
on 4/24/14 3:55 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Do you know Hungry Girl? She has some really good recipes that use the shirataki noodles. I used to make Hungry Girl "Fettucine Alfredo" a lot. 

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/249-fettuccine-hungry-girlfredo-80-calories

The official recipe calls for Laughing Cow Light and LF Sour Cream but depending on what I had in the fridge, I might use LF cream cheese or FF/LF greek yogurt to sub - all of them worked equally well. Adding some frozen peas to it was good or peas AND some little cubes of ham or bacon, made it carbonara-esque.

Hungry Girl has other recipes using the shirataki noodles as well - it's worth a look, most of them are WLS friendly (I think) and definitely help beat the craving for a huge serving of pasta!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

JJ0609
on 4/24/14 4:57 am

I love Hungry Girl!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Cunning_Pam
on 4/24/14 7:35 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I looked at the Hungry Girl stuff once and wasn't at all interested. But now that I've had surgery, I may have to look into her stuff again. I know she does low fat, but I'm sure I can modify her recipes with full fat ingredients just fine.

Thanks for the reminder!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Dcgirl
on 4/24/14 4:03 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Another shirataki noodle convert!  yay!  I know, they are not exactly like pasta but since I can't have pasta (read: I cannot control myself around pasta), it's a close second.  Your ingredients always crack me up - like the day you had roast beef and peanut butter for your lunch list, and today it's crab meat and ketchup :)  I may have to try quinoa - I think it might be high in carbs for me but it's worth looking into!!!

Cunning_Pam
on 4/24/14 7:24 am
RNY on 12/18/13

The ketchup is for ****tail sauce! Mix it with the horseradish...I could just eat nice hot ****tail sauce with a spoon. Yummy! Lots of carbs, though.  I'm going to have to try a low-sugar ketchup brand at some point.

You would love the quinoa. Yeah, it's a bit high in carbs for you, at 10 carbs per 1/4 cup. But it's a great rice or cracked wheat substitute, with a nice nutty flavor and a toothsome texture.

Daisydoo02
on 4/24/14 1:08 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Good morning Em, and fellow RNY menu posters! Its almost Friday and I am excited, short work weeks are always killer, 5 days of work crammed into 4!

Em I think you will be fine with your protein numbers while away, there must be places you can find that have protein shakes and lots of restaurants that you can eat chicken, fish etc.  I know having your personal routine interrupted sucks but you will do great. And LOL on is anyone sober in Dublin!!  Good luck with that!!

I have had my hair done a few times (cut & dyed) since surgery and its been fine.  I think the dye actually makes it more shiny and silky!  My hair loss was really bad in month 4 and now at 5.5 its slowed a bit, not gone by any means but not coming out in handfuls in the shower now!! You will do fine!

5.5 Months post op

B: one black coffee with one Splenda and one cup of unsweetened almond milk with two scoops of chocolate protein powder

L: 4 oz of tandoori chicken breast 

S: one swiss Babybel and one mini dill pickle

D: one bbq grilled pork chop (no bone or fat) and 1/2 cup of bbq grilled bell pepper

S: one swiss Babybel and one mini dill pickle

Stats: 671 calories  18 carbs   88 protein

Exercise: hour walk at lunch and hike/jog with dogs when I get home from work later

Water: doing great

Vitamins: 2 multi/B12/Iron/Vit C done, alarms set for calcium and D later today

Have a great Thursday all!! 

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Dcgirl
on 4/24/14 4:06 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Daisy - thanks for making me feel better about dying my hair and not having it all fall out instantaneously :)  Glad you have a short week!  We did not have any days off for Easter so it's a five-day week here :(  Thanks for also believing in how I will do while traveling!  I will surely check in to the site when I am on wifi.  Your menu sounds delicious.  Tandoori chicken - bring it on!

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 63 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 303 views