Vacation after Gastric Bypass

joshie2645
on 3/15/15 6:09 am - Springdale, AR

Hey everyone! I'm going on vacation in a few months and I was wanting to know how can i eat right on a vacation? I'm going on a cruise. And there are LOTS and LOTS of food on board lol

MickeyDee
on 3/15/15 7:06 am

The eating rules don't change at sea.  Protein first, stay hydrated, walk or exercise every day.

mommomx2
on 3/15/15 7:10 am

we go every year on a cruise. The buffet is  nice but you can eat your breakfast in the main dining room (royal Caribbean) and choice off a menu. Lunch I always do a salad and add a protein like fish. Dinner I go to the main dining room and eat. The also have many sugar free deserts so you don't feel left out. Once you see what is on the buffet you will know what is can tolerate and what will make you feel sick. There is so many other things to do on the cruise that eating is not on your top o the to do list. Enjoy yourself

nicupnorth
on 3/15/15 8:34 am - Eagle river, WI

I just returned home to WI after a week in Long Beach CA,  I LOST 5 pounds!  I stuck with my proteins first, but had different excersizes than what I normally do, walking on the beach, swimming everyday at hotel pool ect. So it is possible to enjoy vacation and different healthy foods!  HAVE FUN and don't worry about it!!!!!!

phibbmom
on 3/15/15 9:26 am

I went to Vegas for 4 days with my husband and lost.  Just stick to the plan. 

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

knolmom
on 3/15/15 9:44 am

If you are able to plan a cruise on Celebrity, they have a cabin category called Aqua Class. You have your own dining room for the evening meal, where you can enjoy fish, meat and poultry cooked" clean, with sauces that do not use butter or oil, but are just reductions of broth. Delicious food, smaller portions than the main dining room, but your cabin mate can order something from the main dining room, like a ribeye and fries, if they like. I have been doing this since I developed diabetes in 2011 and it will be ideal for my post WLS diet.

seattledeb
on 3/15/15 11:49 am

If I could just live in an Aqua class suite!

I've lost weight on every cruise I've ever taken. They have small portions in the main dining room and I always exercise more.

We go on Alaska cruises because you just have to drive downtown and get on a boat.

I love cruising.

Deb T.

lynnc99
on 3/15/15 10:55 am

A cruise is perfect! The variety of foods can't be beat - and the severs will bend over backward to accommodate you! I can hardly wait for my next one...

i took protein shake shake mixes along for breakfast or a snack just in case the shipboard offerings were too carby, and I admit I am picky. And like my breakfast shake routine. Some days I opted for scrambled eggs, and every day I had some sliced cucumbers with a little cream cheese curl on top. 

Lunches were salad with lean meat or fish. Norwegians grilled burgers were lean and delicious. 

My choices for dinner were almost always seafood. A couple of times I chose an assortment of appetizers instead of an entree and it worked out perfectly. 

Enjoy! 

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/15 12:28 am - NY
RNY on 07/17/12

You are right, there is alot of food on a cruise.  I have gone on 2 cruises since my RNY.  Prior to the cruises I made the choice to eat similarly to what I eat daily.  I take the steps instead of the elevator and did alot of walking.  I had no weight gain.  You can do this.  Enjoy your cruise.

Fran

siberiancat
on 3/16/15 2:14 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

While we can GO on a vacation - there really is no "vacation" from eating nourishing healthy foods to fuel our body.  Stick to protein first, veggies and fruit.  Whole "real" food like meat & fish, cheese, plain veggies (without sauces), whole or sliced fruits, etc.

I just got back from being gone a few days and took food with me and when I ate out I got meat/fish, and salad.

Stick to your plan.  Maybe keep a food journal to stay accountable.  There will always be temptations of calorie laden -nutrition poor foods out there and we can CHOOSE to say no and have a healthier alternative.

Changing our lifestyle and our health is great.  If you have the mindset that you can forget the bariatric eating plan during "vacation" you may find yourself on a slippery slope of regain.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active