Abdominal binders post op?

Dukemom
on 11/26/13 9:29 am
RNY on 12/17/13

I saw my surgeon today and forgot to ask how he felt about the use of medical grade abdominal binders for the first week or two?

For those who have had their surgery, what was your doctor's opinion on the matter?  (I'll get a chance to ask again on surgery day, just curious what others were told.)

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

JLS_NJ
on 11/26/13 9:46 am
RNY on 10/15/13

I had one for about 5 days.  Wonderful.  

JLS in Central Jersey

Empty Nester - working toward a healthier ME!

karenp8
on 11/26/13 9:48 am - Brighton, IL

I never used one and didn't really need it.

poet_kelly
on 11/26/13 9:48 am - OH

I was given one in the hospital.  I only wore it for a few days, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 11/26/13 9:54 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I requested one because I knew from past surgeries it would help. He had no problem getting me one and it was a God send for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

IrrepressibleSLP,
Mistress of Word...

on 11/26/13 10:06 am, edited 11/26/13 10:07 am - VA
RNY on 10/21/13

I hands down recommend asking for one or getting one. The physical therapist at the hospital brought me one and it helped sooo much with walking, sitting, standing up, and moving/repositioning yourself in bed. It really helped with the swelling and the pulling sensation. 

My surgeon was completely on board. I used mine for about two weeks or so. 

Best wishes. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/26/13 10:30 am - OH

I have never had one for a lap surgery (in the opinion of all three surgeons i used, they don't cut enough muscle to warrant it ).  I had one after my open RNY, though, which was an 8 in*****ision, and although it was helpful in some respects (when trying to get out of bed), it was too long (I am short waisted) and therefore was too uncomfortable to wear.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mary Catherine
on 11/26/13 10:39 am

I requested one and believe it helped me with sitting up easier, walking and feeling more comfortable after surgery.  They used to be given routinely after any abdominal incision, but not so much now because they are an added cost. 

It is true that they are not needed as much after lapascopic surgery, but I felt weak and appreciated the firm support for the first few weeks.  Not necessary, but can be nice to have.

daisy142
on 11/26/13 11:11 am - TX

I woke up from surgery with one I and I have to say it was wonderful. Made it easier to get up and down, walk, everything. I wore mine for 2 weeks. 

HW = 370

SW = 322

GW = 180

Lap RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss

TurnThePage
on 11/26/13 11:31 am

I found it most helpful at night, for turning in bed without feeling like my insides were about to fall out. It helped me to sleep comfortably on my side, which helped me get better rest.  Also was a nice barrier when my cat decided to walk over me to say good morning/where is my breakfast?

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 14 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 357 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 355 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 301 views