Abdominal binders post op?

Cherokeesage
on 11/26/13 2:07 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I had an open RNY so was glad that the surgeon ordered me one.  I was also glad he told me that I could trim it if it was to wide as I did have to trim a couple of inches off so it didn't pinch under my breast.  I wore mine a couple of weeks as it helped with sitting and standing.  I slept in a recliner for over a week.  The binder made it easier to get up and down  when I was finally able to sleep in the bed.  My incision healed easily and a lot quicker than I expected so perhaps it helped there as well.  You can always try it and choose not to use if it doesn't help.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Katie K.
on 11/26/13 6:49 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

My program doesn't allow binders. They say that it prevents you from using your abdominal muscles and say that it doesn't help with recovery. They recommend a firm pillow or cushion to hold onto if you need help getting up. I used a Bari-Buddy. 

Dukemom
on 11/26/13 9:01 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

Thank you all for the responding; I appreciate your input!

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

barb.k
on 11/26/13 11:52 pm - Williamson, GA

My RNY was lap (robotic) with hernia repair. I have 6 small incisions. I woke up with 6 gauze bandages. The following day the surgeon removed the dressings to reveal steri strips and glued incisions. I got up and walked with out help (except unplugging my IV pump and inflatable compression devices). I turned by myself, although my husband always jumped up to put a pillow behind me :)  I  used a pillow to splint my abd while doing incentive spirometer and car ride home. The pain I did have I believe was more from the hernia repair. 

barb.k

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 3 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 336 views