Very upset at dr's office staff

Sheila2813
on 1/7/12 12:00 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 02/14/12
 The first appt I was sent to by my drs office was to get Upper GI today @ 9:30AM. First the office I was sent to was TERRIBLE, looked like a little dirty shack, second I was turned away because of my weight. They informed me that they do not have the equipment that can hold a person over 300lbs (I weigh 340 now) and that the results would not be clear regardless of they tried.

Not only was I humiliated but so upset at how could my drs staff not know this??!!! And such a waste of my time, I had to work today.

Am I over-reacting? Your thoughts please??

- Sheila
sprkl.plnty
on 1/7/12 12:11 am - WA
RNY on 01/13/12
What a terrible experience. I would do some serious internet research on your doctor and make sure he and his practice are reputable.
So sorry you had to experience such negativity when you are courageously taking steps to improve your health!
Sparkle Plenty        
poet_kelly
on 1/7/12 12:15 am - OH
What equipment holds you for an upper GI?  You stand up and drink some stuff and they take an xray.  You don't need any equipment to hold you.  That makes no sense.

I would be very upset, too.  Let your doc's office  know what happened first thing Monday.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sheila2813
on 1/7/12 12:35 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 02/14/12
Thanks guys, I really am surprised, he is supposed to be one of the best in South Florida, Dr Nestor de la Cruz-Muñoz. But this experience is worrisome.

@ Kelly, they told me that they have to put me on a table, was this not your experience? Ugh!
poet_kelly
on 1/7/12 12:55 am - OH
No, I've had one two different times and both times I stood up.  If you lay on a table, how would you drink that stuff without choking on it?

Just have your surgeon write an order and go get it down at any hopsital.  The radiology dept does them, just like they do other xrays.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LJ1972
on 1/7/12 2:39 am - FL
mine I had to lay on the table and they took x-rays or something, then stood me up for the drinking part
Reel
on 1/7/12 7:01 pm
 I had an upper GI many years ago, and yes I had to lay on my side on a table while I drank this radioactive shake.  So I guess sometimes you stand, and sometimes you lay down.  What a bummer though. I'd be pissed off too. You took a day off from work for that!

Highest Weight: 314, Pre-Op Weight: 294, Surgical Weight: 279, 1st Goal Weight: 170, 2nd Goal Weight: 155, Current Weight:163

Lisa R.
on 1/7/12 12:49 am - CA
You are not over reacting, in fact you might be under reacting.  I'm Irish so I have a big temper and I might just let it go on someone at my doctor's office for putting me through that experience. 

I am sorry you had to deal with that, and Kelly is right, what equipment are they talking about because an xray table should hold well over 300 lbs, it's not like you are the only person in the world at that weight!  What, is their equipment 100 years old?   

Hang in there!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
abby04276
on 1/7/12 12:50 am
I ran into a similar problem with my local hospital with my endoscopy. They didn't have equipment to accomodate me. When I set it up with the other hospital I asked them if their equipment was big nough for "big a** people".lol
Medley411
on 1/7/12 3:41 am
OH Abby, I believe you said that.... I cant imagine the person on the end of the phone! 

Not at you, but you made me laugh today!!

Most Active
Recent Topics