Very upset at dr's office staff

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/12 3:51 am, edited 1/7/12 3:52 am - Canada
Sheila, sorry to hear this happened - the surgeon's office will want to know this happened and it will help them not to refer to them again - it will save someone else going through this. No you are not over reacting at all ! Someone dropped the ball... in a referal they given information about you, and weight should have been part of it, someone should have done better for you. Both offices have a part in the reponsibility.  What happened to you was wrong and good for you for speaking up and telling them how it made you feel.

I am kinda getting a red flag though if your surgeon does not know how gross the office is he is sending you to...is there not something better? Why there? That is what I'd be asking.

seattledeb
on 1/7/12 6:35 am
I would be upset. They need to be referring to facilities that have been made accessible to all.
The first time I walked in to my doctor's office they did not have a blood pressure cuff big enough for my arm. Oh I was not pretty at all! It never happened again!
Take care,
Deb T>

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/12 6:42 am - MD
 Sometimes a doctor's office looks up who will take your insurance for the procedure you need and just sends you somewhere on the list. Perhaps that is what happened here. Especially since you're in a major market. I would give the surgeon the benefit of the doubt and stick it out. Give them a heads up, the surgeon not their staff. It may be something he wants to address directly with the doctor/director of that facility in regards to the way they treat a bariatric patient. Some people just aren't patient. As you've seen, even the staff at the hospital wasn't the nicest.

Not to make excuses for a medical "professional," but sometimes they just don't like their job and they don't care who knows it. This is something that needs to be addressed.

The advice to go to a hospital radiology department is good because they generally have up-to-date equipment. I still don't know why they would have you lying down for this procedure. You need to be standing up for the imaging to be properly done.

Also, there are big radiology companies like American Radiology and the like that will have the proper equipment. Really sorry you've had to go through this, it doesn't help anything. 

Just know that its all part of a process that will involve way more people than it really needs to probably. But, in the end it will be worth the hassle of finding the right place. If this surgeon is as good as you've read then stick with him. Mine is one of the top rated on the East Coast, not the friendliest guy at times, but he knows his stuff and so I put up with it. 
nfarris79
on 1/7/12 8:05 am - Germantown, MD
 Gotta add my experience here - as it's sounding like different experiences among the different people posting, so that makes it hard to determine a "normal" experience.

I had an endoscopy done by a gastroenterologist; that was done under mild sedation and I was laying down on a table for it and did not drink anything for it. That test is basically where they guide a tube & camera down your esophagus to take a look at your upper GI tract from the inside.

Additionally, I had radiology tests (cat scan/MRI, abdominal ultrasound and xray) at a reputable/major radiology clinic, which did involve drinking barium and the only laying down was in the cat scan/MRI machine. That last part is where I can see a weight limit. They are really expensive & tempermental machines! But there are "stand-up" type MRI machines so it might just take some research to either find a larger MRI machine or  a clinic that does the open MRI scans. I hope that tidbit doesn't confuse you more & keep the faith that this is all worth it in the end!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Reel
on 1/7/12 7:10 pm
 If this De La Cruz guy is known to be a good surgeon, I would by NO MEANS change surgeons because he made a mistake and referred you to the wrong outpatient Uppper GI facility. I'd tell him what happened, tell him that you missed a day from work, and for that reason you need to be accomodated on your day off somewhere else.  What if you change to a surgeon *****fers you to the right place but then botches your surgery? 

My surgeon has the worst bedside manner imaginable, and the worst personality imaginable, and he's abrasive and rude. HOWEVER, from the research that I did, and because he is the director of the bariatric Center of Excellence program, I just sucked it up, and let him operate. My thinking was "Do I want a friendly surgeon that strokes me well, and botches the surgery, or do I want an a$$hole that is proficient at his craft, and leaves me complication free. The a$$hole won out. 
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views