Stacy160’s Posts

Stacy160
on 12/31/09 10:51 am
Topic: RE: VSG self pay where to get it medical tourism
Google Mark Pleatman in Bloomfield Hills, MIchigan.  That's where I'm going (not traveling though, he's only an hour or less south of me).  He's got excellent patient reviews on OH and offers a complete package (his fee, hospital fee, anesthesia, and two years of follow-up) for $11,200.  By all accounts they deal well with out-of-town patients.   Good luck with whoever you end up with! :)

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
Stacy160
on 12/31/09 7:17 am
Topic: RE: Before and Now pictures.
Big difference, congratulations!

Stacy160
on 12/31/09 7:10 am
Topic: RE: 2010 100 pounds lighter!
How awesome is that!  I hope to be able to say the same thing a year from now myself.  Congratulations!!

Stacy160
on 12/30/09 11:57 am
Topic: RE: Dannon Activia Light Yogurt! TMI? LOL
Gotcha, thanks Goldie!! :)

Stacy160
on 12/30/09 9:11 am
Topic: RE: Dannon Activia Light Yogurt! TMI? LOL
Newb question:  Is "Greek" the brand name, or where that particular yogurt comes from?

Stacy160
on 12/30/09 6:43 am
Topic: RE: Help!! I'm 36 hours out...did anyone have foamies?
I'm still pre-op so can't help you with that, but I'll be having Dr. Pleatman do my VSG also, so when you feel up to it I'd love to hear how the whole experience has been for you so far.  Hope you feel better soon! :)

Stacy160
on 12/30/09 4:54 am
Topic: RE: Curious? Exer****
I used to work for a Plastic Surgeon and you're not gonna want to hear this, buuuuuutttt....

One the skin is stretched, it's stretched.  It's true that the younger you are, the more likely it is to still be elastic enough to rebound some.  Also, some skin types will recover better as well... darker, oilier skin tends to be more elastic then pale, thin skin (like mine, unfortunately)--think about who shows facial wrinkles and who doesn't.  Exercise won't affect the skin itself at all, BUT building up the muscle underneath it will help fill it out and support it. :)

Stacy160
on 12/30/09 4:40 am
Topic: RE: WHEN DO I GO BACK TO WORK???
My surgeon's office is telling me that most people only need a week off.... Ummmm, I'm thinking maybe not LOL.  I work in Physical Therapy and while I'm not lifting patients or anything (we're outpatient orthopedic), and I know I won't have to do any heaving lifting or anything, we do work 13-hour days and I just don't see being able to go back after a week, living on protein drinks and water. 

So, if I can make it back in a week then great, but I'm going to plan for two and go longer if need be.

Stacy160
on 12/29/09 11:11 pm
Topic: RE: Bariatric Wrap?
Oh, now that's something I never even thought about and haven't seen mentioned anywhere before.  Is it pretty standard practice to wear that after surgery?  What's it's purpose, does it just serve to kind of splint the area for support so you're more comfortable?

Stacy160
on 12/28/09 9:53 pm
Topic: RE: Newbie - Seeking support
Kris, I hear ya... I haven't even seen the surgeon yet, but yesterday I called his office, got lots of info and on the list for the next seminar (next Wednesday)--I'll be self-pay so the process will be as fast as I want it to be.  I was surprised after hanging up the phone that after wanting to do this for so long and being really excited about making it happen, I was kinda like "omg, omg...." LOL....

Immediately I started asking myself really?  Do I really want to do this and spend the money on it?  But I think that's totally normal for anyone about to undergo major surgery, especially when it's voluntary.  I do know that this really, truly is the only way I'm ever gonna get this weight off (after 20+ years of losing a little, gaining more, losing a little, gaining more, etc).   I just keeping thinking about how much better I'm gonna feel afterwards and that's exciting! :)

Stacy160
on 12/28/09 9:57 am
Topic: RE: Three fun things to tell you guys!
Oh, the Chinese Buffet..... lawdy, how I'll miss that particular friend! *sob*

Still can go for a bowl of soup and watch everyone else pig out now and then, right? :D

Stacy160
on 12/28/09 5:32 am
Topic: RE: Clothing Question
Jeans.... and not the elastic waist kind with peg legs and no pockets that make your butt look even bigger....not helped by the fact that I have short feet for my height which only makes everything above them seem even BIGGER....

I want to wear a nice pair of normal jeans and feel comfortable in them, without pinching, bulging, or not being able to breathe when I sit. 

Also, I'd like to be able to maybe wear shorts again if the legs don't look too saggy and lumpy afterward, and I hope not to look too bad in a tank top too. :D

Stacy160
on 12/28/09 4:12 am
Topic: RE: Hi Everyone!
I just called and registered for the seminar, which is required before you make the appointment to consult with the surgeon.  I can make my appointment the next day, get a letter from my family doctor to clear me and from then on surgery can be booked for as soon as a week later....whoa!!

The seminar is next Wednesday, the 6th.  Got so much going through my head right now, it's spinning. :D

Stacy160
on 12/27/09 11:08 pm
Topic: RE: ?? re. appetite and cravings
Awesome responses everyone, thank you so much!  I plan on having the surgery no matter what--I'm not hoping I can still eat sweets, I'm hoping I can't!  And that I won't want to LOL.... I know it doesn't work that way with most people though but it sounds like you really don't want it much after surgery anyway.  I'm not stressing over this point in particular, just gathering info!  I really appreciate all the input so thanks again. :)

Stacy160
on 12/27/09 12:38 pm
Thanks everyone for the replies so far!    I'm just kind of obsessing about this -- willing to bet you all did too :D -- and trying to gather as much info and knowledge ahead of time as possible.  Any input I can get really helps!

Stacy160
on 12/27/09 12:15 pm
Hey, I'm in Michigan!  My son and I have already decided to try and give up pop after the first of the year.  He's trying to get in shape to go into the Marines in a few months.  I dunno... I do like to have a glass of Diet Rite cola with dinner!  (for now!) :D

Stacy160
on 12/27/09 11:39 am
Topic: RE: 6-7th Month Pics - Down 82 pounds
Ohhhhh, awesome!  Congratulations!!
Stacy160
on 12/27/09 11:04 am
I'll probably have a zillion questions in the coming months, and here are two more. :)

My biggest worry with going the VGS route is that I'll still have a problem with the sweets. A couple of years ago when I tried phentermine, it not only took care of the appetite, but I also had no real interest in eating something just because the taste sounded good, which is something I do a LOT of. So, a couple of questions for post-op'ers:

1. I know VGS people don't usually "dump," but some seem to have some kind of reaction to eating sugar or high simple carbs. Is that fairly common? I really hope to have that happen to me.

2. I know the hunger signal is severely reduced because of the lack of ghrelin after the majority of the stomach is removed. Do you find yourselves still craving or being tempted to have something sweet just because it's there or you want the taste of it like you may have pre-op, or does it just not interest you anymore?

Thanks!
Stacy160
on 12/27/09 11:00 am
Topic: RE: Lapband vs VSG
I looked into the lap band initially, about three years ago, but quickly abandoned that idea because I was reading about SO many complications, removals, re-gain, etc.  It just didn't seem like a very successful thing for a lot of people.  I had decided on the RNY but my insurance excluded any form of weight-loss ANYTHING (and still does) and I was afraid of having to pay for the potential complications from that out of pocket.  Now I've decided to to ahead with the VSG since I learned about and researched it--so many fewer risks and complications, and everything I read indicates that the success and weight-loss rates are comparable to RNY results. 

As far as price goes, I can't remember what the self-pay rate was for the band where I plan on having my VSG, but I think it was very close ($11,200).
Stacy160
on 12/27/09 10:56 am, edited 12/27/09 11:42 am
I like you already, just from the way you write! :D

People love that Wii Fit--I've never used one but they look fun.  Let us other pre-oppers know what you think of the various protein shakes!  Seems like some people like one while others hate it and vice-versa, and that it's a very individual thing, but it's still good to read what others think.  Good luck with your surgery, you'll be the first person here that I'll be able to follow from the beginning!

Stacy
Stacy160
on 12/27/09 10:50 am
There is a surgeon about 45 minutes away from me who I plan on contacting, who has a package deal of $11,200 including hospital stay, his fee, anesthesia, and two years of follow-up.  I'm not sure if that all includes complications or not, or if he has the insurance plan that I've seen mentioned here and there--but I'm dang sure gonna ask about that! :D

I can't wait.  I'm just soooooooo tired of food in general and the way it makes me feel...  I just can't wait!
Stacy160
on 12/27/09 5:28 am
Back about 3 years ago I was looking into RNY and my insurance (which changes every January 1st) has never covered it--well, I should say my employer always specifically excludes it from our policies--and I was too afraid of being stuck paying for complications to go through with a self-pay option.

Now, reading the last several days about VSG and the low, low rate of complications, I'm STOKED and totally planning on making an appointment tomorrow to see the surgeon.  I'll have to get creative with the credit card bill and probably have to tap my Roth IRA, but it's got to be done...there's no putting it off or giving it  "one last try" (oh please, right?) any longer.

I can't wait to get to reading all your stories! :D

Stacy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views