Help! Nauseous after protein drinks.

Sammy_85
on 1/27/16 7:51 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I am 8 days out from surgery and started full liquids 2 days ago. I've been struggling with my protein drinks. I get so nauseous after I drink them that I find it hard to drink anything else for a few hours and that's not good when I'm trying to get all my fluids in. The protein I use is whey protein isolate and I've mixed it with water and with almond milk. Today I tried a Premier Protein drink and it was the same thing. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion or some insight for me. Could it be that my stomach is just not ready for the protein at this point? Should I go back to clear fluids for a couple of days? I'm finally getting 64 oz of fluid in a day but now I'm worried about my protein intake. Help please!

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/16 8:10 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Hey Sammy sorry to hear you're having a hard time. If you're not drinking them too fast I'm not sure why this would be happening to you unless you've become lactose intolerant since surgery which can happen. But what I suggest and what I did was getting unflavored protein (Biochem brand available at Super Supplements but Unjury also makes it) and blending a scoop with 8 oz of water and half of the Crystal light to go packets. They come in fruity flavors like pink lemonade and cherry so it is a nice way to break up the chocolate or vanilla monotony maybe you could try that? And just sip it over a several hour period? Because you're making it from water it counts towards water and protein goals. You will get through this! 

Sammy_85
on 1/27/16 8:53 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Hi Kelly, thanks for your response! I actually have some Syntrax unflavoured protein that I haven't used yet so I'll try your Crystal Light suggestion. I find the chocolate so sweet and heavy, it'd be nice to try something a little lighter. I don't think I've become lactose intolerant because I had a small amount of strained cream soup as well as a glass of skim milk and I tolerated those fine. I'll try your suggestion and if I still get nauseated I just may have to skip the protein powder for a day or two to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again!

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 1/27/16 9:18 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

if the sweet is making you feel queasy.. can you do savory? unjury makes a chicken broth or unflavored you can mix into other soups/warm drinks.. both those helped me.. coffee flavored protein drinks helped me as well. Do you have any anti nausea meds? do they help at all?

Sammy_85
on 1/27/16 9:51 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I just ordered that Unjury chicken broth and it should be here soon so I'll give that a try. I don't have any anti nausea meds but I have gravol so I think I'll take one and hopefully that will help. My nutritionist recommended ginger tea for nausea so I'll have to get some of that tomorrow. My recovery was going so good . Oh well, this too shall pass! Thanks for your suggestions!

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 1/27/16 9:57 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

peppermint tea might help too, celestial has a tummy mint tea.. peppermint settles my stomach when it's upset

Sammy_85
on 1/27/16 11:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I forgot about peppermint tea, thanks for the suggestion!

LosinginAZ
on 1/27/16 9:18 pm

It is strange but I have been drinking the shakes now for about 6 months and everytime, even pre surgery, they make me nauseous. My problem use to be drinking them too fast but it might just be a sweetness thing. They are good but maybe too chocolaty for our our stomachs. I keep drinking them because I have to and they have tons of protein, so I just wait out the nausea. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Sammy_85
on 1/27/16 9:55 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thanks for replying, it's good to know I'm not the only one! I'm really having trouble with sweetness; everything tastes so damn sweet! I think tomorrow I'll try some thinned out Greek yogurt. It's not the best option in terms of protein but it's better than nothing! 

Sandra F.
on 1/28/16 6:10 am

Just about everything, including protein shakes, made me queasy in the first month and I found out it was from dehydration.  Try and up your water intake if you can and see if that helps. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 305 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views