Can't Stand the Taste and Texture of Bariatric Advantage Shakes

Neesie57
on 7/31/15 11:22 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I have tried all of the flavors of Bariatric Advantage shakes and can't choke them down anymore.  My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, August 4th, and I was supposed to drink 3-4 shakes a day.  The first day was semi ok, but after that...ugh.  I really like Premier Protein shakes, and have been drinking those instead, to get my protein and my calories.

My husband is concerned that I'm not technically following the doctor's orders, but I think it's ok.  What do you think? Am I going to be ok, or should I drink the ones that I dread?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/31/15 11:54 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Bariatric Advantage has some nasty tasting products.   If your doctor insisted that you drink them, it could be because he has a relationship with the company and receives compensation for pushing their products.  For my preop diet, it was required that I buy a bunch of foul tasting products and supplements from BA.  Their multivitamins are terrible too.

It's ultimately up to you, but I would switch to the Premier Protein shakes.  The goal is to lose weight quickly and reduce the size of your liver prior to surgery.  It doesn't matter which brand you drink, as long as you are drinking protein shakes instead of eating cheeseburgers.

I drink a Premier Protein shake for breakfast daily, even now at 19 months post surgery.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Kelly L.
on 7/31/15 11:55 am

I think as long as you're getting some kind of protein shake in, you're fine.   But you may want to check with your dr to be on the safe side.

Laura in Texas
on 7/31/15 12:05 pm

I think you are fine. I was also forced to buy the nasty bariatric advantage shakes. I drank them pre-op because I am cheap and already paid for them, but I thought I would throw up every time I drank them. Immediately after my surgery, I told my surgeon I refused to drink them post-op. He told me I could drink Slim Fast low carb shakes instead (now called SF High Protein).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Neesie57
on 7/31/15 12:39 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Thank you for the replies.  I am drinking 4 of the shakes a day, and have lost 13 pounds so far, so I think my liver must be shrinking.  The BA shakes were making me want to puke, but I really like the Premier Protein, so that must be better for me.  

I will call the doctor to see if he's ok with the PP.

lbmoore0
on 8/3/15 8:39 am

Premier is my favorite and my doctor approved it for after the surgery.  Hopefully, you'll get the okay before as well!

NateH
on 7/31/15 1:44 pm
VSG on 09/26/14

Obviously, listen to your doctor and plan. For me, I could use any product I preferred. I tested and tested and sampled and sampled. The ONLY one I like is Premier Protein. I've also dabbled with Syntrax Nectar Double Cookie a bit, but I'm mostly Premier Protein Vanilla. Even nearly a year out, I like a protein drink to start my day and get a quick 30g of protein. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Neesie57
on 7/31/15 1:57 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I haven't tried the vanilla, but I really like the chocolate.  The strawberries and cream tastes too much like vitamins, so those are out.  I'm totally supplied with the chocolate ones right now, so feel ready for surgery.  Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

E_Saenz
on 7/31/15 2:44 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

My doctor made me buy a bunch of protein stuff shakes and dinners breakfast and lunch snacks quest bars and such I really wish I could eat salad and meat instead.

Elia Maria Saenz

Oneillch
on 7/31/15 3:03 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

My nutritionist didn't have a preference for brand and I found that I liked the Premier shakes & especially the unflavored Syntrax Nectar protein powder. I especially liked it because I could add it to my soup or beverages. I still use it when, at the end of the day, I'm a little short on my protein for the day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views