I miss bread :-(

Phat_girl_38
on 12/3/14 12:02 am
VSG on 10/13/14

Okay so this is a little sad, but I miss bread.  I am only about 7 weeks out, so I decided that the 'white' carbs had to go (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes). All in all I have been doing okay without them and I think my weight loss is moving in the right direction but - more and more I find myself thinking about BREAD! It's crazy I know, I didn't realize what a big part bread (and crackers) played in my daily meals. I've been focusing heavily on lean protein, tuna steak, fish, chicken, and of course at this time of year - Turkey!

Anyone else dealt with this?

Phat_Girl_38  / HW: 319 (Pre-op Wt: 292) SW: 282  GW: 165  Surgery Date: 10/13/2014

wyo_sarah
on 12/3/14 12:15 am

Yes, I really, really miss bread too.  At about 10 weeks out I started eating a few crackers with cheese maybe once a week.  That seemed to help.  Now I'm 4 months out and I eat a bite or two of fresh bread on the rare occasion that I make homemade pizza (which is torture for me to do, but my kids love it), my mom makes fresh bread or we eat out.  But, I limit it to a bite or two.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/3/14 12:42 am - MI

Yes, I miss bread too!! I'm almost six weeks out and I miss salad and bread the most! I haven't cheated or had but I really wanted a turkey sandwich this past friday! I think its normal/natural for us to miss stuff! Keep on focusing on the protein! I'm doing the same thing! :)

snowiekate
on 12/3/14 1:45 am - FL

The "carb monster" can be a tricky beast, but I'll pass on what my surgeon said to me when I mentioned missing french fries...

"Katie, if you want a french fry, eat a f***ing french fry".

Even now, at 18 months out and basically goal weight, I watch my carbs. But if I am craving something, a bite will usually curb the monster.

~ snowiekate

High 307.2, Pre-liquid: 290.3, Surgery: 282.6

Surgery date May 31, with Dr. Radecke (Riverside Surgical in Sebastian, FL)

ElizaM
on 12/3/14 2:11 am, edited 12/3/14 2:11 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I miss it too sometimes. My mom became the most amazing baker. Her loaves look like they are from some artisinal high end bakery. Just not fair. I've been on the low carb train for a long time now and you DO adjust. My biggest trick is to get the flavors I miss. I was craving everything bagels, so I ate Everything parmesan crisps. I loved pizza, so I make pizza flavored dishes without the bread. But yes, sometimes I just miss bread and butter. Focus on the delicious things you can eat, make them the most luscious and wonderful versions possible, and you won't miss the things you can't eat. When I'm missing bread, I have a steak topped with butter.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

bikrchk
on 12/3/14 3:19 am

I was allowed crackers beginning with my pureed stage, but they felt super heavy so I stuck to just a couple rice crackers at a time for a very long time if I indulged at all.  After about 6 months out I found P28 protein bread.  I have to order it on line (it freezes well) as it's not available in a store near me, (I hear some can get it in stores). Now if I want a piece of toast, I have toast!  It's a darkish whole wheat kinda bread with 14g of protein in a slice. At 1 year out 1 slice is A LOT for me.  I can do 1/2 a cheese sandwich on it but only like a quarter of a meatwich like turkey or whatever.  Also makes great croutons!  Anyway, thought I'd share as it's kind of a guilt-free, healthy way to get a bite of bread if you tolerate bread well.

Sweat is fat crying

Phat_girl_38
on 12/3/14 3:43 am
VSG on 10/13/14

Thanks! I am definitely going to check out that P28 protein bread!

Phat_Girl_38  / HW: 319 (Pre-op Wt: 292) SW: 282  GW: 165  Surgery Date: 10/13/2014

Gwen M.
on 12/3/14 4:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had a similar experience, so I tried some bread.  And it didn't feel good in my stomach at all.  I've had the same experience with french fries.  So.. I don't eat those things and I also don't crave them anymore :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/14 4:46 am

It's perfectly normal to miss those foods that were such a big part of your eating life. Bread has not been an issue for me really. I have other things - like having a starch with a meal like a bit of rice or mashed potato or mac and cheese. It took me a long while to be okay with protein and only vegetables on my plate. I found that adding a lighter colored vegetable (like spaghetti squash) to my plate helped in the beginning. Now, I'm okay with just protein and veggies. My breakfast was turkey and some raw carrots. My lunch was roasted chicken breast with green beans and a bit of Light Blue Cheese dressing.

Creating a new normal takes time. You are going through a very heavy adjustment period for the next 4 to 5 months. You will find a lot of things are different and take some getting used to.

Saying goodbye to bread doesn't have to be a forever thing. You may develop strategies that allow you to have some every so often. You'll have to see how that is for you sometime down the road as you venture into maintenance.

grayC
on 12/3/14 8:49 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I was never a big bread person but a huge pasta person.. I have no desire for pasta anymore I do however miss sanwiches and if I'm really craving one ill make whatever on pepperidge farms "very thin" bread

but I mostly use it for toast w/ over easy eggs..

lets not even talk about my "problem" with everything cookie!!!

Most Active