Let me introduce myself...Tracy D.'s hubby, with pics!

Mike D.
on 7/11/14 4:26 am
VSG on 04/11/14

Hi everyone - my name is Mike and I'm married to the wonderful and intelligent Tracy D. (she's typing this so I don't misspell anything, just ignore her self-serving comments ;-)  She previously posted that I had VSG surgery on April 11th.  It's still a little unreal to me that I actually went through with it and that I'm within 35 lbs. of my goal weight.  

When my wife was looking into this surgery I was totally opposed to it.  Partly because I only knew one person who'd had WLS - my sister.  And she was unsuccessful with it both times.  Totally non-compliant, didn't do therapy, doesn't go to support group meetings, drinks with her meals.  At this point she eats whatever she wants and lots of it.  With the first surgery she popped her staples and with her second (RNY) she only lost half her weight and still has all the bad habits that got her into trouble.  So you can understand why I didn't have high hopes for Tracy's success.  In fact, I had pretty much accepted the idea that we were going to be a fat and happy old couple.  Tracy had other ideas :-) 

Watching her kick this thing in the ass convinced me that WLS really is just a tool - one of many - and that if you string all the tools together and follow the plan that it CAN work.  Her success was very motivating; I wanted to be able to keep up with her and not get left in the dust.  So I started the 6-month pre-op process, started using MFP to track my food and recently jumped on this forum to soak up all the knowledge you guys have to offer.  

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, let me post the worst "before" picture I could find and a recent one:  

Yeah - that guy fishing in the green shirt was me around the 4th of July last year.  People who work with me look at that picture and don't remember me being "that big"...but I was.   I'm told I carry my weight well but this picture would put the lie to that statement :-( 

The NSV's have been numerous:  off all B/P meds, no longer need my CPAP, joint pain is a lot less, being able to sit in booths at restaurants (not that we go to many), more energy, can keep up with our little nephews, and I don't sweat my ass off in the summer heat and humidity.  In fact, I'm freezing ALL the time (Tracy is laughing at this one - "welcome to my world, buddy")!

I went to my 3-month follow-up earlier this week and my surgeon's entire staff was blown away by my progress.  The doc asked me "what are you doing?" and I told him, "exactly what Tracy tells me to" -- (ladies, do you see why I love this man! TD) --.  I've finally got to the point where I'm consistently getting 80 grams or more of protein a day and I strive for under 30 grams of carb.  The hardest part for me is getting in all the water so the wife is constantly nagging me about that.  

So a big "thank you" to all the posters and VSG veterans on here who guided my wife during her early post-op days and gave her such good advice because I have directly benefited from it.  I look forward to sharing my progress and cheering for everyone else on their journey.  

Mike  5'10"   Starting weight: 287  SW: 256  CW: 199.4 M1: -10   M2: -18

pharmagirl_45
on 7/11/14 4:31 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

OMG!  You are kicking butt!  You look great!  Congrats

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Mike D.
on 7/11/14 4:58 am
VSG on 04/11/14

Thanks for the congrats. Everybody's stories and Tracy's help really saved me. 

civilmomma
on 7/11/14 4:32 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Awesome!  You look fantastic!

As a wife of a man having his own WLS later this year, it is great to see how a couple can work together to get to a healthier place!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Mike D.
on 7/11/14 10:07 pm
VSG on 04/11/14

It really is nice having a partner doing it with me and *****ally knows her stuff. Thanks again

Shagdoll
on 7/11/14 4:32 am

OMG you look amazing already!  

You both are a great looking couple!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Mike D.
on 7/11/14 10:08 pm
VSG on 04/11/14

Thanks! Shagdoll.

Tracy D.
on 7/11/14 4:36 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Happy 3-month surgiversary, baby! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Mike D.
on 7/11/14 10:09 pm
VSG on 04/11/14

I could'nt have don it with out you. Luv-U.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 7/11/14 5:06 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Nice to meet you Mike!! And Tracy should be able to type in all kinds of self serving comments because she is awesome!! You are kicking butt and if you keep doing whatever Tracy tells you to do you will get to goal in no time!! So happy for you! Stay with us. Its great to have you along on this journey. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views