An Update -- The Good and The Bad at 15 months Out

Italian-Princess
on 10/4/13 9:02 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Buon Giorno OH Family,

If you are on MFP, you might know most of this, but I wanted to share how things are going at this point with all the wonderful people here who are keeping me on their shoulders when I can't lift myself up..

I've been told not to lose any more weight until this cancer issue is resolved, so I've put myself in "pseudo-maintenance" and I've found it to be fairly easy......staying within a 3 pound range since the middle of August.  Now that I can eat REAL food again and not just liquids since the middle of September, it's a little harder, but nothing I can control............at least for now!

All my treatments are done -- chemo and radiation.  The effects are still with me somewhat -- fatigue is the major problem.  So, I do what I can when I can.  All my tests are finished for the surgery that will remove the rest of the tumor and the building of a new esophagus from my intestines.  The tests showed almost all positive results...........plenty of great intestines, major shrinkage of the tumor, the ultra sound showed no lymph nodes involved, everything except one test gives me hope that things will go well.

The BAD part:  on the CT scan, they found a mass about the size of a small grape on my left lung.  Both Surgeons involved and both my Oncologists feel this is not malignant, but since it's something new, they have to biopsy it.  They are skipping the needle biopsy and will do an incisional biopsy -- basically that's complete removal of the mass.  That will add another 4 scars to my already majorly scarred body.............that should make about 16 surgical scars -- but who's counting, right??? LOL

I'm angry, want to throw things, want to sink into a pity-party........but that isn't going to help anything, so I've decided that this is a test of my character and I'm NOT GIVING UP!  So they found a mass -- big deal -- let's do what I'm calling a "grape-ectomy" and see what the biopsy tells us.  If it's malignant, then there's going to be a lot of rethinking done as to how to proceed  If it's benign (which I'm sincerely hoping it will be), then we'll be good to go on the big surgery.  This first surgery is scheduled for October 14th.  If everything goes well, the big surgery is scheduled for November 6th. 

As I've asked my MFP family, so I am asking you, my dear friends..............any prayers, good vibes, jazzy juju, magnificent mojo, positive thoughts and anything else you think would help, I'd greatly appreciate them.  I just know that those of you who have stayed with me and have supported me since I joined OH, are responsible for a lot of the successes and good news I've had.  We don't live in a vacuum -- we need each other -- giving when we can, and taking when we need it.  Thank you so much for all you've done.  I will reply to the PMs some of you have sent -- just taking me some time to do it.  I'm not on my computer as much as I'd like to be and not posting the way I have done in the past.  Resting and recovering are my prime focus at this point.  Being the the best health condition I can be for both surgeries is important, so I know you'll understand. 

Much love, lots of hugs and tons of gratitude are being sent to you all.

Ree

5' 1.5" Tall.............69 years YOUNG!!!! Esophageal cancer survivor.

cappy11448
on 10/4/13 9:06 am

thanks for the update.  My prayers are with you.  Keep the faith. 

blessings,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Nancybefree
on 10/4/13 9:10 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Bella Princess Ree!!  :)  :)  :)  :)  Have been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing.  Will keep you in prayer for sure.  Lots of positives there, even with the new scenario which has presented itself.  Stay strong!!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

happyteacher
on 10/4/13 9:33 am

Hi Ree,

Hang in there.  You have a difficult path to follow, but you have the mindset to see it through.  I know first hand how scary finding additional growths can be, and the stress of waiting on the biopsy results.  In one instance I had a growth back behind the wisdom tooth area, and an xray showed a clear shadow in the jaw area underneath.  I left that day feeling certain that cancer had spread to the bone given how and what news was delievered to me that day.  Two days later I went in for a biopsy of the jaw bone, and then had to wait a few weeks for the results.  (Biopsies of the bone take far longer to process.)  The tumor biopsy came back after a few days as benign, and eventually the jaw bone was cleared as well.  But from the point of knowing the growth was there until I found out was ridiculously stressful.  My rather long point is, as much as possible anyway, try not to assume the worse case scenario because there truly are instances that it comes back benign and the solution to the growth is reasonably simple (at least compared to the alternative).

Your comment of do what you can when you can is important in my opinion.  I would on my more difficult days just try to be content with what I could do, instead of dwell on what I couldn't. 

I am sending prayers your way daily.  Take good care of yourself- HT

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Kimbaru
on 10/4/13 9:51 am - WA

Oh, gosh, Ree!  Well, magnificent mojo is my specialty, so here it comes!  Please keep us posted.  I'm not on MFP.

Kim

grayC
on 10/4/13 10:17 am
VSG on 05/01/13
ALL of my good thoughts, positive juju and heartfelt prayers are with you at this trying time...

Sandy M.
on 10/4/13 10:21 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Get angry - throw things!  Get it out of your system.  I'm throwing things on your behalf as I speak, because I'm so mad that bad things happen to a nice person like you!  It's totally not fair, and damn it, I'm pissed!

You already know this, but we are here for you.  If you want to throw something at me, just let me know in advance so I can put a helmet on to protect my head.  You WILL defeat this ******* grape.  A grape stomped is much sweeter than it was on the vine, so they say (well, I say it anyway).  And plus, it makes wine, which I have no doubt you will celebrate with when you get your clean bill of health victory!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

luvbskts
on 10/4/13 11:55 am

Prayers and hugs!

VSG on 06/12/13
You are an amazing inspiration. Keep your chin up...
Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views