Cooler Weather -- bring on the soups

slatond
on 10/9/12 2:36 am
So what is your favorite WLS approved soup?

I just had Legal Seafood New England Clam Chowder..(purch @ Sam's) and it was WONDERFUL! 
Might not be the best cal/carb/prot mix... 1 cup 290 cal / 17g carb/ 11 g prot... From label.
Oddly MFP has different breakdown:  1cup 240 cal/10g carb/11g prot.

Obviously homemade would be healthier and I will be making some soups w/ the cooler weather as well. Just curious what ur favorite is in the either purchased / eat out or homemade?

Shagdoll
on 10/9/12 3:07 am
I love pozole which is a mexican soup,  Pieces of pork with hominy but I think the hominy adds some carbs.  It tastes great topped with shredded cabbage, oregano, lime & tapatio!!!  Yum!!!
I do have a hard time eating soup because it's alot like eating & drinking at the same time for me so I usually try to eat more of the soup than drink the soup.  I want some right now... darn.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Wildcat-NYC
on 10/9/12 4:26 am, edited 10/9/12 4:26 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I'm going to be making beanless chili for my meals next week...

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotchili/r/bl38c8.htm

Elina has some great soup recipies on her profile page.

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
EliseG
on 10/9/12 4:43 am - MA
I second the suggestion about the soup's on Elina's page.
I also love making stews in the crockpot!

ERnurseMN
on 10/9/12 7:33 am - MN
I absolutely love Elina'a green soup! Haven't tried the others but will soon.

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
INgirl
on 10/9/12 8:32 am
For weight loss mode- you can't beat Elina's soups! For more maint or if you follow a higher fat plan- I love curried ginger coconut cauliflower soup! Low carb, plenty of healthy energy giving fats.. and satisfying! Here's the recipe:

5-6T virgin coconut oil (you can reduce this, I just like coconut oil)
2 large leeks, white and pale green sec­tion only, cleaned, trimmed and sliced (3 cups sliced)
1 large yel­low onion, peeled, trimmed, and chopped (2 cups chopped)
1-2tsp good mus­tard

Curry powder & ginger powder (or grated fresh) to taste 

1 large head cau­li­flower, sep­a­rated into small flow­erets 

5 cups low sodium chicken stock 

1 cups cream & 1C coconut milk- full fat

salt & pepper to taste

1. In a soup pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
  2. Add leeks and onion, and cook slowly to soften with­out brown­ing, about 15 minutes.
  3. Add mus­tard, spices and stir to combine.
  4. Add cau­li­flower and stock, bring to a sim­mer, and par­tially cover.
  5. Sim­mer until cau­li­flower is ten­der, about 30 min­utes, replen­ish­ing the stock if it reduces too much.
  6. Using an immer­sion blender, puree the soup. (You can also let the soup cool some­what, and then puree it in a blender or processor.)
  7. Add the cream & coconut milk and whisk to com­bine. Bring just to a sim­mer. Adjust the con­sis­tency of the soup by adding more stock if necessary. Adjust spices as needed.
  8. Sea­son to taste with salt and white pepper
Plugged into MFP, each half cup serving (you will need to measure for yourself..as far as final product and ingr.) was 130cal, 5g carbs, 2g prot, 2 fiber.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views