From High Blood Pressure to Low BP??

michael B.
on 8/9/12 1:40 pm - MA
VSG on 03/19/12
 A couple months out of surgery I was taken off my high blood pressure meds which was friggin awesome. Recently I have noticed when I go from sitting or kneeling to a standing position I become light headed/dizzy. At one point yesterday I almost fell down after standing up so I went to the doctors and she thought maybe I was dehydrated. She took my BP laying down, sitting up and then standing and it dropped 10points each time. I don't think it's dehydration because I drink 48-60oz of water while at work. Any one else out there dealing with this?
Burnsy  (ticker starts 2wks pre op)                        
MuttLover
on 8/9/12 1:56 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
 Yep -- it's fairly common (at least among people I know).  I have this when I drop below a certain weight.  Your blood pressure can't normalize quick enough when you stand up, so you get dizzy.  

Here's what I do:
1. Always try to get up slowly 
2. Since I forget -- make sure at home and where you work, that there are places you can sit down quickly that are a few steps from where you usually sit -- since that's cube walls or cubes in my world, my coworkers know not to worry if I suddenly take a seat in their cube for a couple of minutes.
3. Getting out the car -- I sometimes have to stand by the car a couple of minutes (more like a minute) -- but sometimes it strikes a few feet away -- so I lean against a car till it passes. 

I don't know if that goes away eventually, since I put some of my weight back on, and even now on meds, it still happens some.  Hoepfully, after my VSG (I'm pre-op), I'll find out!  

Best of luck!
Shagdoll
on 8/9/12 1:58 pm
Hi Mike,
I never really had high blood pressure except from a couple times I was nervous to see the doctor for whatever reason. Now my blood pressure is still considered normal but on the low range. I too also get lightheaded, dizzy & even feel like I am blacking out at times. Kinda scary. I don't know if this is caused by low blood pressure so I will be interested on what replies you get.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

ERnurseMN
on 8/9/12 2:09 pm - MN
I just got home from my 3 month post-op appt and am dealing with the same thing.  I did not have hypertension before surgery and now I have very low BP.  90/50 and my pulse is 50.  My doc said it is from the weight loss and exercising so much.  I have to be careful cuz I get light headed and everything gets black if I bend over or get up to fast.  I too drink tons of H2O so I know I am not dehydrated.  I got labs drawn so we will see what they say.

Kristin

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
michael B.
on 8/9/12 2:36 pm - MA
VSG on 03/19/12
 Exactly! Let me know how your labs go! 
Thanks Kristin
moonglo82
on 8/9/12 2:17 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
My blood pressure was never off the charts, but it was right on the line of being high for a while, around the time I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Here I am 4 months out of surgery, and over the weekend I checked my bp: 90/60. Still normal, but barely. Eeek!

I plan to discuss this with my dr next week when I see her for a regular checkup. The last thing I need is to head back to work for the school year with low blood pressure (although I'm sure my students will be quick to help me remedy that.... haha!)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

stephanieplum
on 8/9/12 3:23 pm
VSG on 06/27/12
 I was taken off my bp meds right after surgery.  I had those same symptoms and my dr. told me to add salt to my diet.  I did and rarely have those symptoms. 

michael B.
on 8/10/12 1:32 pm - MA
VSG on 03/19/12
 Thanks Stephanie. Doc said drink Gatorade for the sodium...picked some up today. 
Carmelita
on 8/9/12 5:02 pm - Four Corners, NM
 My blood pressure was normal within 3 months post op...when I got that orthostatic hypotension...bending over and rising too quickly, or from seated to rising postition...I immediately took my BP.  I have a digital gizmo. IT WAS NEVER MY BP!!  what could it be then...I concluded some kinda

ELECTOLYTE imbalance....some mineral/vitamin I was lacking. Sodium, chloride, magnesium, bicarbonate, potassium...somthin! 

the precursors to DEHYDRATION......stuff we need that plain/ SF flavored water does NOT give us.
A crapload of water...then ya get hyponaturmia....that plain water depleting electrolyte sodium

If yer into tracking your food...I highly rec. SUPERTRACKER  for a few days. Can do a spreadsheet...Will tell exactly every single nutrient inc. electrolytes! ya take in...and are lacking from your diet (food and drink habitually consumed) And tweak accordingly. Its a real eye opener as far as what we actually get from our diet...let me tell ya..

or maybe just

Add a couplea G2s each day, Zero sports drinks..and see if it helps...and always get in yer required vits/mins right ,-) 
Gatorade has a new product w/ protein Performance I ..for athletes..bought some (for my grandson) haven't tried it yet tho. 

HTH!!
tiamarie75
on 8/9/12 10:51 pm - NV
I am almost three months post-op and I have started to notice this just in the past week or two. I have my three month follow-up next week, thank god. I have been on high blood pressure meds since I was 25 or so (now I'm 37) and the last check-up I had my BP was 110/70, way low for me. So hoping they take me off my meds and it'll get better! I'm going to take some of the advice here and consciously try to stand up more slowly!
Good luck!!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views