Newbie questions for MX travelers

slatond
on 5/1/12 4:11 am
I am always full of "goofy" questions... tried reading /searching forum b4 asking but didn't really find answers. So here goes:
#1 -- Will my Cell phone work in MX? Do I need to add int'l calling to my phone?
#2 -- I will be on liquids pre-op the day of trip with 9 hr of travel time. Is there any tips? (like packing broth packets or something?) I know I can't take water bottles thru security.
#3 -- also the vitamins, can I carry a small packet in purse or will they be confiscated if not in bottle?

Open to any tips for the travel pre and post that would make it easier!

rhearob
on 5/1/12 4:35 am - TN
 I didn't have surgery in Mexico, but I used to travel there for work for about two years.

1.  Your cell will work.  Depending on your carrier wil determine how much mony telcel actually charges you.  It is not cheap.  My work phone is verizon, and the international charges on that phone were astronimoical.  My personal cell phone is AT&T and they wanted a ridiculously high amount for mexico.  If you have a smart phone, data counts.  You may consider getting a cheap pre-paid phone while in country.

2.  Buy water once you get through security.  Do not drink any water except bottled water once in the country.  Advise fellow travellers to NOT eat any water bearing fruit (lettuce, strawberries, etc).  I did while in PAchuca and had to be on cipro for 10 days after getting back.  After that I didn't even brush my teeth with tap water.

3. You should be fine with any dry vitamins, just keep them in the bottle and carry them in your purse or carry on.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

smkeller
on 5/1/12 5:10 am

Take a ton of GasX, strips, pills (you can chew those btw, not bad) and antacids. I don't know WHERE you are going in Mexico, I went to Mexicali, and didn't have to drive. Ask for wheelchair service coming back at the airports - all of them, which was the best tip that I got. It feels a little funny, but it get you thru customs fast without walking forever and standing in lines - just DO IT - remember, you have had major abdominal surgery, don't be the  hero. Also, I got my doctor to give me some fairly weak Lorazepam for nerves while flying, really helped with sleeping after surgery too. Don't worry about vitamins, worry about those later. And yes, phone bill was EXCESSIVE, use computer phones or email. I also stayed a couple of extra days just to be near my surgeon and to rest - THAT was a good decision also.

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/12 6:32 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
Yes your cell phone will work but you need to call your carrier. Some charge really outrageous prices for international calls but you can sometimes just get a one month international plan to be added to your account. What I did was bring my ipad that had skype on it. I added some money to my skype account to call back to the U.S. from Mexico. Skype for mobile works on android phones, iphones, ipods, and ipads. I think it works for other devices too. Anyway, all you need is a wifi connection and you can call on skype. I think I spent a whopping 4 or 5$ calling home on Skype and I talked quite a few different times.

After surgery, you really will be on liquids as well. Make sure you have a water bottle on your plane flight. Sip tiny sips and you will be fine. You can buy the water from the airport shops after you go through security.

Bring comfy pants as you won't feel like wearing anything else after surgery. Athletic pants, stretchy pants or anything like that. Heck even stretchy shorts if it's nice and warm.

Heating pad! Some people take them to mexico for surgery and I've heard they work like a charm. I was lucky that I didn't have much pain after surgeryy or I would have loved one. A couple of the ladies had one and they said it helped sooo much.

Good luck!

ND2BTHN
on 5/1/12 7:34 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Your phone will work. I turned mine off, just in case. Some girls got an added temporary long distance plan put on for 1 week. I guess a long distance calling card should work too. You will have a phone in your room.

I only needed to be fasting for 6 hours before my testing, so I was allowed to have a light breakfast, and I did pick at a chicken wrap on the plane, since I had a 5 hour flight, and then a 2 hour drive to the hospital from there. What I did was use my playbook clock that gave international times, so I could factor in the time change, and when the cutoff time was for eating. You can bring a protein bar with you for eating after your testing. You can bring some crystal light packets to add to your bottled water for on the plane from the duty free shops. On the trip home, I did bring my bottle of Gatorade through security. They simply asked me if I really needed it. I said yes, because I just had surgery and was on a liquid only diet. They put it through a special scanner used for liquids, and they gave it back and sent me on my way. No problem. I simply forgot I still had it upon entering security from the hospital, and would have willingly thrown it out, but turned out I didn't have to. 

You don't really need the vitamins. They should be in the labeled bottle, but if the bottle is over the restricted size, then leave them home. 

Best tip I have is bring a tablet or ipod for entertainment. They should have free wifi connection, with a password, so you can email, or message anyone through your tablet. I chatted with my family through facebook on my playbook after surgery, and didn't have to worry about any roaming charges using my phone. Also don't buy too much of the PPI they recommend you buy there. They say it is cheaper, but I paid $60 for 3 boxes of Nexium, and found out later, that it was covered under my drug plan, and I could of had it for the $2 dispensing charge only.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views