Tomorrow starts count down

Quiltingnonnie
on 10/15/15 10:27 am

I start the 2week pre op liquid diet tomorrow. Any advise for when the going gets tough.

surgery is Oct 30th, can't wait.

thanks for any advise in advance.

Deanna798
on 10/15/15 10:38 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I only did the diet for one week, but I will say that the first three days were the hardest. On the 4th day I didn't even feel hungry anyhow and I could see the scale moving.

Just keep your eyes on the prize. You will rock this!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

White Dove
on 10/15/15 11:35 am - Warren, OH

I bought sugar-free juices. By mistake one was low-calorie, not sugar-free. It shot my blood sugar up to close to 300 and I almost had my surgery cancelled. Read labels carefully.

The time will go quickly. The first two or three days are the hardest and then hunger usually goes away.

I remember reading that people who are stranded and starving to death do not feel hunger, but do feel thirst. Get in plenty of fluids.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Catek2652
on 10/16/15 4:05 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I am scheduled for surgery on October 26th and begin my liquid preop diet on Monday and have my final preop appointment with surgeon on Tuesday. I've been following sugar free, protein high and super low carb for two weeks and I've lost 8 pounds. I'm glad to hear the hunger pangs stop after the first three days on the liquid diet. It's been nice to see the scales dropping already. I know there will probably be a stall immediately following surgery while recovering... and then a plateau later... but to have hope after so many years of not having any... hard to describe.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

froglady
on 10/16/15 5:22 am - IA

I experimented iwth all kinds of smoothies, using low fat greek yogurt and frozen fruit. No fruit juices. I acturally started to like them. I did miss chewing food sometimes, so I would have a bite of chicken and chew it up and then spit it out. It satisfied the need to chew. I don't like milk so it was difficult to make smoothies not using milk. Your surgery will go better if you stick to the diet. It shrinks your liver and stomach and makes it easier for the surgeon to do the by-pass. Good luck, We are all here for you.

Froglady

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/18/15 5:42 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Here's my best response (I've posted it before)

When my doctor told me that he wanted me to lose weight before surgery, I was pissed - I almost said, "Why bother, it will just come back on." It took a few seconds for my brain to say to itself, "No, that is why you are having weight loss surgery, so it won't come back." The promise of WLS helped me make better decisions during that time. Also, every pound you lose before surgery is gone and moves you closer to your goal.

I have since come to understand that the 2 weeks prior to surgery diet helps you have a better surgery and less soreness during recovery. I understand that the diet shrinks your liver, which the surgeon has to manoever around to do the surgery. Also, it gives you time to practice following dietary instructions.

Only 2 weeks to go! Congrats. Next week I will be 10 months post surgery (12/22/14). Best decision I made. I lost about 15 pounds in the 6 weeks before surgery - that included Thanksgiving and many holiday parties. You can do it.

Sharon

Most Active