Looking for something to take the place of water "jogging"

kaniky
on 9/9/15 10:07 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I've been "water jogging" in my pool for the last several weeks and have had big loss numbers.  I've been thrilled.  I live in Houston and it's too darned hot to walk outside most of the time.  But I think pool season is coming to an end soon.  Do any of you have recommendations for fitness videos to do at home?  I'm still 253 pounds and need to be careful of my knee and ankle joints.  I'd like something fun to watch and do.  Any thoughts and suggestions are deeply appreciated!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

NYMom222
on 9/9/15 10:34 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Love my pool, love my exercise in the pool. Coming soon to an end for me too.

I have severe arthritis, and I discovered last winter that a trampoline(rebounder)  works great for me. I had one i bought like 4 years ago, it had a 400lb weight limit but was never able to get into it, couldn't do more than 5 minutes. Well last winter when I was desperate to figure something out (I was about 6 months out from surgery and heavier than you are now) I started using it and it was great. I don't do anything fancy, just jump and go side to side mostly. I have it in my living room so I can watch TV or listen to music. I worked up to doing 45 minutes a day. I have it in a corner, so I could reach out and steady myself, if I felt the need, and in the beginning I had a pole I used to hold onto that touched the floor as I jumped to steady it until I got used to it. There is a handle you can buy, which I have, but I found that more annoying and without the handle I can lean it up against the wall when not in use.

It is also not that heavy that you can't put it away when you have company.

This is the one I have. Usually you can get it for about $50 less. Sell it through Amazon too. They have other models as well. great info on the website check it out.

Rebounder

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 9/9/15 10:56 am - Warren, OH

With your knee and ankle problems, water is the place to work out.  Find a water aerobics class at the Y or a gym. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

crqvingchange
on 9/9/15 11:39 am

I water jog at my local community center pool.  It only costs $3 a swim and I'm definitely worth that.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

LadyBaltimore
on 9/9/15 12:26 pm
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi kaniky,  I just joined a gym specifically for their pool.  I can swim in the summer and the winter without any issues.  Is there a gym with a pool you can join?

H2O,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/9/15 1:05 pm

if you want to do it at home - consider any low impact exercise. - i.e. old style "gazelle",  Most likely you can find one on craigs list locally... 

New style exercise - like elliptical (but hate elliptical - my knees don't like that) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathyjs
on 9/9/15 6:16 pm

Walk in the mall

Most Active