Thinking of donating my hair before surgery

Felicity Q.
on 8/7/15 2:36 pm
DS on 09/28/15

I have crazy amounts of super thick hair that grows like weeds... I have been thinking about donating it to Locks of Love like I have done several times in the past.

I know hair loss is pretty common with such rapid weight loss, and I am thinking I might just embrace the possibility and going UBER SHORT, letting my hair grow back if it wants to.  My DH thinks I am crazy and should keep it, but I am talking myself into it more even as I write this...

Anyone have words of wisdom to share? Is hair loss common for all ages with WLS?

Also, here's the last time I donated! Summer 2012. :)

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

april89love
on 8/7/15 3:02 pm - NC

Your hair will look fuller if it is shorter. I would not go extremely short but the cut you have in the pic would be about right.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

cspotrun
on 8/7/15 3:10 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

great idea!

Karen   

DanaDenise
on 8/7/15 3:17 pm

My nurse practitioner told me to expect hair loss, as it happens with any type of rapid weight loss.  He said that people typically lose 10% of their hair daily, but during rapid weight loss people generally lose 30% of their hair daily.  He said it will stop as your weight stabilizes.  I didn't notice a difference at first.  But at about 7-8 weeks after surgery it started. My hair is everywhere.  I have very fine hair, but nobody else seems to notice.  I've asked all of my family who tend to be brutally honest and they don't see a difference, except for the shower drain. Donating your hair will definitely feel good and may give you a sense of a new beginning, but I don't think hair loss would be the motivating factor in the decision.  That is just my two cents!  You should obviously follow your heart!  XO  Best of luck!!

Maria27
on 8/7/15 3:17 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I don't support locks of love because they sell the hair they receive as donations and are profiting from it. And they still charge based on income for the few wigs they actually make. What are they doing with all that money? 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Felicity Q.
on 8/7/15 3:36 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Interesting! I hadn't researched it before, and instead just gone with my Mom & Sister together as a family ritual of sorts. This will be the first time i'm doing it solo, so I will definitely research who will use it best! Thank you. :)

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/15 7:29 pm
RNY on 05/04/15
Maria27
on 8/7/15 8:23 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

That link didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I've read their website. Most people have no idea that they only make wigs for children with alopecia. I have a family member with alopecia, and he would never wear a wig. I would never donate my dyed hair to them because it would end up in the tra**** says right on their website that they don't use dyed hair and many other types of hair, but people continue to donate those types of hair anyway. I don't support them. Some people figure they are just throwing their hair away anyway. But I'm not going to believe in a lie to make myself feel good. I know they won't use my hair. And they are receiving way more hair than they use. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/15 3:21 pm
RNY on 09/14/15

Good for you. Wish i could but i have thinish hair and it's not that long

seattledeb
on 8/8/15 2:57 am

I think it sounds like a splendid idea!

Deb T.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views