Gained weight??

joshie2645
on 11/15/14 7:31 am - Springdale, AR

My 2 week check up was this Wednesday and I weighed in at 260. A 26 pound loss since my surgery on 10/28. 

But today I weighed myself and it says I've gained 3 pounds. How could that be? Now I'm kinda down about it

oneuppr1
on 11/15/14 8:33 am

differant scales

mschwab
on 11/15/14 9:13 am
RNY on 11/21/14

Water retention.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Sandie E.
on 11/15/14 9:45 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

There could be a lot of reasons. I'm addicted to the scale and I see my weight fluctuate daily. Ultimately by the end of the week there is a loss, so I have learned to deal with the gain and loss if I am going to weigh daily. It could be water, medication, what you are or are not eating, excericise, etc...just know that I understand getting discouraged and it will continue to go down...people told me when I was worried and they were right! Just keep following your plan! Keep up the good work! :)

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/15/14 10:00 am - OH

As someone else already said, it is likely fluid retention, BUT is could be because you are retaining more fluid now or you were a bit dehydrated the previous weigh-in.  Our bodies naturally fluctuate in weight, but we just never noticed it before because we don't weigh ourselves every day except when trying to lose weight... So we just never noticed.

Please don't allow what the scale says determine your mood!  That will make the next year of your life so much more intense and difficult than it needs to be.  Some weeks you will drop a lot of weight and then you may lose absolutely nothing (or show a temporary "gain") for several weeks in a row.  You may even encounter a stall that lasts two months!

Focus instead on the process of making new healthy food choices, finding ways to be more physically active (not necessarily formal exercise), and addressing any psychological/emotional/behavioral issues that contributed to your obesity. THOSE are the things that will determine how successful you will be at maintaining your weight loss long-term.  The scale will eventually stop going down and the only reward for continuing do to what you are doing now will be the scale NOT going up.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bublegirl1
on 11/16/14 6:36 am
RNY on 11/10/14

"Please don't allow what the scale says determine your mood!  That will make the next year of your life so much more intense and difficult than it needs to be.  Some weeks you will drop a lot of weight and then you may lose absolutely nothing (or show a temporary "gain") for several weeks in a row.  You may even encounter a stall that lasts two months!"

That is great advice that I am going to steal for myself as well! Thank you!

-Amie

healthy-rickfan1971
on 11/15/14 1:11 pm

My biggies for scale ups and downs of few pounds is the time of month problem as well as whether in the constipation side of my fluctuating gut problems. Taz (my pouch) has moods that vary from can't get off of the potty several times a day. To Do not even need the potty for several days in a row. When it is the constipated side, the scale says a gain. I have figured out that this aspect comes into play and not to freak at the scale. My weighing is just to keep an eye on it, not to scale bash myself as I had done foe 40 years. Whenever there has been a few pounds above my last lowest number, it has been due to one or both of those factors. Don't fret, just keep on plan and it should work itself out. As long as you do what your doctor says to do, keep up the protein and water that was said to, do your vitamins that doctor says to, take in the healthiest food for you, and get some movement in to keep the muscle you already have, you will be getting healthier. And is THAT not the ultimate goal for us all anyway?

Most Active