Personality changes

joshie2645
on 10/16/14 11:37 am - Springdale, AR

Has anyone experienced a personality change after their surgery? For so long I've always made fun of my own weight to make others laugh, and now that I'm about to have my RNY surgery, I won't have my weight to make fun of anymore. How does one handle that? 

MickeyDee
on 10/16/14 1:09 pm

Stop making fun of yourself.  Be kind to yourself.

Find something to talk about besides weight.

Kate M.
on 10/16/14 10:57 pm - toronto, Canada

I'm sure you do tons of goofy stuff unrelated to your weight. Clumsy, hyper, obsessed with gadgets, etc. Could be anything. 

SandieMc49
on 10/17/14 12:43 am

Okay, so I wasn't sure if you were serious or not - but I'm going to accept that you are and comment. 

I never made fun of my weight before I had surgery.  But I do now.  Even after all these years, I still marvel at the change. 

Two areas that come in conversation are butt and boobage.  I delight in saying "my butt used to be so big it had its own zip code".  And I often say "I don't have breasts, I have tube socks with marbles in 'em". 

No self esteem issues here; but rather a freeing feeling of I don't have to hide behind baggy clothes anymore.  I don't have to shrink into a fetal position when some skinny person says they need to lose five pounds!  I can stand up proudly and own that the wonder of weight loss surgery has it humorous side.  I now proudly carry the banner of imperfection in a healthy way.

Sandie

Denise2200
on 10/17/14 3:25 am

I used to make fun of my weight at times as well and sometimes still do (down to 220 from 290).  The biggest personality change I've noticed is that I feel much more free and happy now!  Other people notice it and comment on it as well.  It's not that I was a miserable person before, but on the inside I did feel kind of miserable.  My new lack of constant pain with any movement has really freed me.  Although I'm the same person I always was, I am definitely a much happier person!

angie1973
on 10/17/14 11:37 am
RNY on 09/25/13

i used to do it all the time and now that i have lost most of my weight it just never seems to come to my mind. but what I have trouble handling is when my sister does it to herself. it breaks my heart to hear her say those things about herself because i know how she really feels because i was there not so long ago.

Angie1973 

MyLady Heidi
on 10/18/14 2:02 pm

Just wait, loose skin is fun to make fun of as being fat.  Been there, done that, I totally understand and wish there was some amazing cure but I haven't found it yet.