Is it normal to panic this much?

RRach
on 7/10/14 6:24 am

My surgery is 13 days. Is it normal to panic this much? I have everything ready: vitamins, calcium citrate, b12 with folic, vitamin d, and etc. I have read over my massive amounts of paperwork and info given to me by the doctor's office. I am sticking to the liver shrink diet to a t. I'm halfway done having my hospital bag packed. 

Normally, I procrastinate. So, this alone should show you how nervous I am! What if my liver doesn't shrink enough? What if the surgery is a success and I fail? I don't want to fail. But I didn't want to fail at every single diet attempt either. I am so afraid that this opportunity is too good to be true and that I will self-sabotage. The worst part is the counselor I have been seeing is no longer covered under my insurance. So, I have to find a new one. I don't want to do this alone. I want help with my cognitive thinking of food. 

Sorry... just panicking... I want to succeed and LIVE! :(

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

poet_kelly
on 7/10/14 6:31 am - OH

Your liver will shrink enough, since you're sticking to your pre op diet.  Your surgeon has done this operation many times, yes?  So she knows how to get the liver to shrink enough.  Her job is to tell you what diet to follow, your job is to follow it.  Do that and you'll be fine there.

This surgery is much, much different than any diet attempt you've tried before.  Most people fail at diets.  Something like 95% of them do.  So you're normal in that regard.  But this surgery is a very, very different thing and if you follow your doctor's plan, you are very likely to have good results. 

I'm sorry you have to find a new counselor.  I know how hard that can be.  But find one.  As soon as possible.  And until you do, consider maybe paying out of pocket to keep seeing the old one.  If you ask, she may give you a reduced rate for a few sessions, until you can get in to see someone new.  Because you're right, you need the helps and support to change your thinking.

Right now, you are all set up to succeed.  You can only take this one step at a time.  Right now, right this minute, you are doing all the things you need to do.  don't worry about what you'll need to do next week or next month.  Take care of that when it comes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 7/10/14 7:08 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

1.  it is abnormal not to panic whether it's a little or a lot  2. heck, your liver should be better off than those of us who weren't given any kind of special diet nor even knew a pre-WLS liver-shrinking diet even existed!  3.  the ease of losing weight the first year helps tremendously with your ability to keep the success going like never before.  4.  you are not alone--in fact, posting your worries here is like passing some of the stress onto us who get it, have been there, want to help, and will gladly offer to take away some of the worry for you by replying.  RRach, you sound ready for the countdown to a better, longer, healthier YOU.  Now, do yourself a favor and relax a bit, ok? :)

Nola68
on 7/10/14 7:23 am

Hi RRach.  We are having surgery the same day, 7/22.  Mine will be in Santa Maria, Calif.  I did not have to do a 2 week diet, only 2 days clear liquid.  Sometimes I am very afraid, others I just look forward to having it over with and start losing weight.  Good luck to you!  I had thought about packing my bag but decided to wait until the day before surgery, I took that day off work, I'm sure I will be so nervous I wouldn't do anything right.

jefferytmc
on 7/10/14 7:21 am

Considering I started with a BMI of 61 and did not have to do a liver shrinking diet, I am sure you will be fine.

Yes, it is normal, but it will be okay.

As was said, this is very different.  It affects people differently, but you CANNOT overeat in the beginning.  I am almost 5 months post op and if I eat anywhere close to more than I need, I start to feel it.  Just be mindful.  Do not graze.  Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks, and limit the amount to what your NUT says.  And do not drink your calories unless it is a protein drink.  

Following the rules is fairly simple, now long term it will be harder, so learn to follow them now and make them habits for the rest of your life.

You can do this.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

RRach
on 7/11/14 2:56 am

I seriously do not know what I would do without the support I have received on this forum! It has been a useful tool during this entire process. THANK YOU ALL for helping and for the encouragement!! :)

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 372 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 314 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics