One more Q!

RRach
on 7/2/14 9:21 am

Sorry.. I feel like I am blowing up the boards today. lol!

When the surgery is done, will I be on pain meds? That is really a Q I should have asked my doctor but it never crossed my mind. I do not really like pain medication because of how it makes me feel. But who knows, maybe I will gladly welcome it when I wake up. lol! I was just wondering.

Thanks for letting me question you guys to death! :)

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

Caroline K.
on 7/2/14 9:38 am

I was given a prescription for pain meds when I left the hospital. I didn't need it--just took some extra strength Tylenol since I wanted to be able to drive on my own as soon as I could so my care giver didn't have to stay too long.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

molly3613
on 7/2/14 10:22 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Yes you should be given pain meds.  I had a liquid pain med.  I filled the prescription but never took it.  I was very uncomfortable but endured it as the pain meds made me so woozy.  Woozy ..... Well they did!

molly3613
on 7/2/14 10:25 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I re read your quesrion and it seems to ask if you will wake up in the hospital on pain meds.  YES YOU WILL.  And you will need them for a day or so.  I was on a morphine pump for 24 hours.  So glad to have it too.

poet_kelly
on 7/2/14 10:33 am - OH

Yes.  I was on a morphine pump in the hospital and had a script for Vicodin when I was discharged.  Talk to your doc about it.  Certainly you don't have to use any pain meds if you don't want any... but I have a hard time imagining you wouldn't want some immediately post op.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Racewalker48
on 7/2/14 12:14 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

Yes, it is likely you will likely be given pain meds while in the OR and after.  Yes, you will welcome them. I received morphine and Toradol in the hospital, and Percocet tabs at home.  I like to describe my experience in the hospital as the "morphine/Toradol haze".  I was comfortably pain free, and a little sleepy in the afternoon post op, alert the next day and feeling rather mellow.  It was glorious.  It will be important to let your surgeon and the hospital staff know if you have had bad reactions to any pain meds (they will ask).  

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/2/14 12:20 pm

I hate pain pills, they make me itch, and I get nausea.  But sometimes we need them. 

Taking benadryl with pain pills helps with both side effects.  But I still only take them if absolutely needed at night. ( my sciatica can flare up badfy). 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 313 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics