Question about NSAIDS

brians34
on 6/13/14 7:06 am - Robinson, TX

I am trying to decide between the RNY and VSG.  I like the fact that I will have to watch the sugar intake because of the dumping effect associated with RNY.  But I have concerns about arthritis.  I have ankylosing spondylitis and take 3 Advil each night.  I haven't had a flare up in a long while and could probably give up the Advil without a problem.  But what happens if a younger person gets the RNY and later develops arthritis.  What can they take for relief of inflammation?

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 6/14/14 1:13 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Not everyone dumps with RNY.  Only about 30% of us dump.  I have end stage arthritis in both knees.  The only thing I can do to relieve pain is get cortisone injections in my knees.  I do miss NSAIDs.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

poet_kelly
on 6/14/14 2:26 am - OH

They can take steroids.  But not being able to take NSAIDS is a pain.  Literally.

You know only about 30% of RNY folks dump, right?  And even those that do can eat small amounts of sugar. 

No surgery will make you watch your sugar intake.  You'll have to do that yourself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JenniPenny
on 6/14/14 6:29 am - MN

I don't dump on sugar or anything else. Most RNY post ops don't. It will keep you honest if you do but for those of that don't we have to police ourselves with sweets or fats. I am an RNY

patient and take Nsaids with my doc's ok. We are to take them with food, not for long periods of time and if we have a history of ulcer or current ulcer we can't take them. I'm almost 13 yrs out and

have taken Nsaids since I was about a year out. I take them occasionally, when needed and have never had a problem. My doc recommends gel form or Advil or others and his patients are allowed to

take them as we need the. Many have chronic pain and need the inflammation properties of an Advil or other Nsaid. The problems with Tylenol and the liver make them not as desirable for us - especially in the first year. I have taken Tylenol in the past and it does nothing for pain with inflammation. I've done Advil without a problem and many post ops do also. I have also had an ulcer but when it was healed up (not nsaid related) I was given the ok to take them again. The ulcer was in 07 or 08, have not had a recurrence and have done nsaids as need since with no ulcer or other digestive problems.

Jen RNY 2001

brians34
on 6/14/14 2:04 pm - Robinson, TX

Thanks for the replies.  This will help me so much.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 329 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 456 views