Day 6 still feel like crap.

jpm
on 4/26/14 4:24 am

I had surgery Monday. Came home Wed. I had bm today. Im getting in my 64 oz fluids and  vitmins. Protein is slow. I feel like crap...I still hurt  on left side...nauseated off and on shaky when I wake up. And so tired. Any advice? Is this normal?

Jaq

AnnyBananny
on 4/26/14 4:53 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I think it's definitely in the range of normal. I had surgery Tuesday and it was Friday when I stopped feeling like I wa**** by a bus, but it was probably 7 or 8 days before I didn't feel like crap.

Walk as much as you can, nap, and keep up the great job on the protein!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Cunning_Pam
on 4/26/14 5:22 am
RNY on 12/18/13

This is your second post in two days asking if you're normal. Well, just as the answers to your first post said, yes, you are normal! In the first post, people told you that you about not feeling perfectly up to par for a couple of weeks. This is still the truth! You just had major surgery. Even though you have tiny little incisions on the outside there was a whole lot of stuff done to your interiors.

Relax! Take a deep breath. You're doing fine. Everyone recovers at a different rate, but in general, the first few weeks were rough for most people. Give yourself some time and let your body do its thing. It's great that you're getting in your fluids, that will help you heal and feel better. Keep working on the protein, as you get closer to your goal for that it will help you as well.

You're ok, really! You may want to keep a journal if you aren't already, and in a couple of weeks look back and compare how you feel then with what you're feeling now. It will be worlds of difference, I can almost guarantee you.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

The Salty Hag
on 4/26/14 7:35 am
RNY on 05/20/13

What? You haven't run a marathon yet?? 

Seriously though....yessss this is normal!! You just had MAJOR abdominal surgery. It's going to take time, maybe several weeks, to feel like you didn't just get run over by a Mack truck. 

Everyone heals at different rates, so your experience will be different than mine...or anyone else's. ( FWIW, my left side hurt like a mofo for 10 days, which was when my drain was removed. )

Advice? Sip, sip sip. Walk, walk, walk. Rest, rest rest. Rinse and repeat. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

jpm
on 4/26/14 8:34 am

Thanks everyone.   Just when I think I know how to deal with a feeling something changes.  On top of it all I have had a horrible allergic reaction to the steri strips. I went to ER last night they removed them but now I have a mess on my tummy. They just said to let the blisters pop and dry out and take benadryl. And keep an eye out for infection. 

tdbull
on 4/26/14 10:42 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Sounds totally normally, at least this was my experience also. You did have major surgery. Take it easy, but try to up your protein. I drank Iso Pure Zero Carb in Apple Melon and Grape, to get in my fluids and my protein. Protein is necessary for healing. I also had to nap 1-2 times a day for the first month. Just try to walk, rest and drink, repeat over and over. You'll start feeling better day after day.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

MrsD68
on 4/26/14 11:08 pm

I am post op as of April 15th.. And I felt the same way for about the first week. Rest, let your body tell you when it is ready for more activity. I started out slow, doing things I could do while sitting, like folding laundry. But I took frequent breaks.. and kept up with the water.. You are also still recovering form the anesthesia.. that can take about a week. Good luck.. and it really does get better..... 

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 310 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 281 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views