Had surgery monday..whats normal

jpm
on 4/24/14 5:17 am

I had surgery monday came home yesterday.  Im still really sore on my left side and at belly button.  I burb off and on that hurts and I pass gas..which feels better. I have 4 of my 12 oz of protein in and 1/3 of my water. Im so tired and sore is this still normal?

Grim_Traveller
on 4/24/14 5:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Absolutely normal. I was sore for weeks, but it slowly got better. This was major surgery!

Walk as often as you can. It's the best thing for the gas. Drink, drink, and drink. Dehydration is excruciating. Try to increase the protein a little every day. You need that to recover from the trauma your body went through.

You"ll do great!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

dccyr
on 4/24/14 5:49 am

Yup, perfectly normal. 

karenp8
on 4/24/14 6:54 am - Brighton, IL

You are totally normal. Even though you have little tiny incisions externally,there was major rerouting done to your insides. You will feel sore and gassy for a week or a bit more. The more you walk the quicker the gas will clear out. You will feel a bit better every day and soon you will see results and be happy you had your surgery!

lucy6912
on 4/24/14 8:02 am

My surgery was this Monday as well. I'm  also feeling lots of pain and having a really hard time with water/protein intake. I've been walking around the house and it is helping with releasing some gas. I'm so swollen and bloated as well. Wish you all the best. And congratulations with having your surgery. 

Missella20
on 4/24/14 9:29 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Yes, normal. I slept in the recliner for 2-3 weeks...it was uncomfortable to stretch out in the bed. Focus on your water and walking a bit every hour or two. My plan didn't add protein until a week later. I had water, warm broth, crystal light and s.f. Popsicles. Make sure you rest, move, and stay hydrated...most important! Congrats!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Christine24
on 4/24/14 12:48 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

I wasn't in any pain when I came home, but I was really tired all the time. I am now 4 weeks post op and while I have gotten some of my energy back I am nowhere near "normal" I can't wait until that time comes.

Elle_Bear_Fabulous
on 4/24/14 2:16 pm

You are completely normal! I usually come to this site to have someone tell me what I am going through is normal. That's what we are here for. We will tell you the truth and usually it's all normal :)

My advice is really focus on staying hydrated and walking. Walking helped so much for me and I really think it was what helped me heal so quickly. As for the water, my motivation for that is that I didn't want to go back and have another IV. Ewww! I hate needles! I got poked more in the hospital than I do on facebook.

Good luck! We are all here for you!

RNY- 4/02/2014

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 311 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 282 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views