Tax deduction

SHMILY
on 3/17/14 2:49 pm

Has anyone asked their tax preparer if all these medical necessary shakes and vitamins are tax deductible?

poet_kelly
on 3/17/14 8:37 pm - OH

If you have a prescription from your doctor for them, they are tax deductible like any other medical expense.  For medical expenses to be tax deductible, they must total more than 7.5% of your total income.  The amount above that is then tax deductible.  For instance, if your medical expenses equal 10% of your total  income, then 2.5% of that amount would be tax deductible.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jefferytmc
on 3/18/14 12:24 am

The part about being above a certain percent is correct, but I believe this year, it went from 7.5% to 10%.  So, if your total out of pocket for medical (not what the insurance paid) was more than 10% of your AGI, then you could count that portion, but most people with insurance do not get that high.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

poet_kelly
on 3/18/14 2:24 am - OH

I didn't realize it went up this year. 

My medical expenses this year were more than 25% of my income.  How awful is that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chulbert
on 3/18/14 12:51 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

There is some middle ground.  With a letter of medical necessity from your healthcare provider, you can pay for vitamins using an FSA or HSA, which are pre-tax dollars.

SHMILY
on 3/18/14 1:25 am

I don't have either of those and my insurance does not pay for them, so I guess that is no for me