Any Dr. Christia Oakley patients out there?

jpm
on 2/26/14 1:33 am

I was wondering if there are any RNY'ers that had or is having Dr. Christian Oakley in Boise Idaho as thier surgeon?

jdsparkee
on 2/26/14 2:10 am
RNY on 01/28/14

He was my surgeon!  I went through the 6 month medically supervised nutritionist visits at his office and had surgery 4 weeks ago.  What would like to know? 

SW: 226  CW:166   M1: -27 M2: -11 M3: -16 M4: -3 (health issues)

RNY Surgery Date: 1/28/14 

jpm
on 2/26/14 3:36 am

Everything :)

Did you have a preop diet prior to surgery?  Any complications?  Would you do it again?  How are you feeling?  How do you feel about his work.

Thank You,

Jaq

jdsparkee
on 2/26/14 5:37 am
RNY on 01/28/14

Hi Jaq,

I have so much respect for Dr. Oakley.  He is an amazing surgeon.  I went to his seminar in June/July (can't remember which) and he has the most experience out of anyone in Idaho.  He has a very high success rate with his surgeries as well.  Not to say the other doctors (Valentine, Korn) aren't qualified but Dr. Oakley is the gold standard in my opinion.  His demeanor is short and to the point, but his staff is the BEST!  I looked forward to my visits with them monthly.  Charm, one of the nurses, had the procedure 2 years ago and had excellent results as well.  I met with the PA, Annie, for 6 months prior to surgery regarding the medically supervised nutritional requirements for my insurance.  However, I was a 37 BMI so I couldn't really lose any weight or I wouldn't qualify.  It was a great learning and preparation experience though! 

I started at 225 (+/- 1 lb) and have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and pre-diabetes.  I chose the RNY because of the historical success rate of curing my ailments.  The only real diet he put me on was clear liquids 24 hours prior to surgery and nothing after midnight the night prior.  I've had 4 previous surgeries (3 c-sections, 1 hysterectomy) and none compared to the nausea I felt the day of surgery following the recovery room.  By the next morning, I was fine so we don't know what happened.  I was up and moving the day after in the hospital and stayed 2 nights total.  The 5 days to a week following was a bit tough, but it was major surgery so it was to be expected.  Water, protein, vitamins.... then repeat.  :)  

yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I am feeling very good and have lost 30 lbs already.  I'm off my blood pressure med and CPAP.  I recommend taking 4 weeks off.  I only took 2 and regretted it!  I have a desk job and underestimated the pain in my stomach (from sitting up) and the fatigue.  I am learning to eat differently and am planning to start exercising next Monday (Dr. approved).  

I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Oakley! 

jpm
on 2/26/14 10:09 am

Thank You so much...You have helped me feel more comfortable about my choice in surgeons.    I meet Charm at the support meeting I went to last week.  She is awesome and such an inspiration.  His staff is great and helped me with the insurance approval as well.  I am only taking 2 weeks off, but I do have the option for more time if needed.  Congrats on 30 lb in 1 month that is amazing!  I am exicited but cautious and nervous.  Thank You again for answering my post.  Maybe one day I will see you at one of the support meeting.

Jaq

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 310 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 281 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views