Blood Transfusion

mama2418
on 2/7/14 3:25 am
RNY on 02/13/14

Just wondering how many needed a transfusion during your surgery or after surgery

"This too shall pass" and then we go shopping!   

yankeescl
on 2/7/14 4:51 am
RNY on 09/12/13

Unfortunately, I did.  My surgeon did not "catch" a vessel and I was bleeding out.  It is very rare to have this happen, I'm living proof that it can.  That being said, I would not give up this chance at the happier and healthier life that I now lead.

mama2418
on 2/7/14 8:45 am
RNY on 02/13/14

Did you need ut during surgery or the next day?

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/14 5:24 am
RNY on 12/16/13

I had bleeding following my procedure that resulted in my having a 2nd emergency surgery early the next morning.  My surgeon removed two litres of blood.  A week after I went home, I was readmitted to the hospital and received a blood transfusion, potassium, iron, and more.  This was a bump in the road.  During all of this, which was scarry, I never second-guessed my decision to have the surgery.  My blood counts and iron are back to normal ranges now and I am feeling great!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/7/14 5:30 am - OH

I didn't have to have one with my open RNY or with any of the surgeries related to the weight loss (gallbladder, plastic surgery), but I did have to have one for my first knee replacement last March (but not with the most recent knee replacement in November).

it definitely is not common, if that is your concern.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

christinalee
on 2/7/14 6:21 am - At Home in, NH

I was a bleeder, and required two units transfused two days after surgery.  No issues just rapidly declining hematocrit; I thought it was such a very interesting (and long) process to have two units transfused after surgery.  I'm very pleased and thankful at how accountable Red Cross, CDC and other organizations have to be when transfusing units of blood.   

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

healthy-rickfan1971
on 2/7/14 6:25 am

I am a Jehovahs Witness, and we do not accept blood transfusions as part of our religous beliefs. It can make it a bit harder to find a surgeon willing to take on a patient that they know refuses blood. But I can tell you that when a doctor goes into a surgery knowing that the patient absolutely cannot recieve a blood transfusion, they are EXTREEMLY careful. They make sure they double or even triple check that every possible bleed is  stitched to avoid bleeding out. It helps as well for the patient to do their research on the doctors record. The surgeon I chose had a very good record with no reported leaks from patients. He also is one of the states doctors that trains newer ones on how to prperly do the RNY bypass surgery.

mama2418
on 2/7/14 8:48 am
RNY on 02/13/14

Matthew 24:14  

Dee.spunk
on 2/7/14 2:14 pm - Sacramento, CA
I'm a Jehovah's Witness too, and I too just let my doctor know that I do not accept blood transfusions. She let me know it was rare for any of her patients to need one at all.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Amy R.
on 2/7/14 6:33 am

I've had several.  But none of them had to do with my WLS.  Do you have any specific concerns or worries or were you just wondering?

amy

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 294 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views