Protein type

jamienichols22
on 11/25/13 6:14 am - MI

I was told by my surgeon that premier protein drinks don't have the correct protein type that we need! He advised me that it has whey protein concentrate and that we are suppose to consume whey protein isolate because our bodies absorb it better. I know the way they combined with amino acids are different but if we have the premier protein will it still count as protein even though it isn't the correct type?

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

poet_kelly
on 11/25/13 6:20 am - OH

I believe we absorb whey protein concentrate just fine, along with soy isolate and many other types of protein.  If your doc thinks we only absorb whey isolate, does that mean he says not to count the protein in foods you eat such as meat or eggs or cheese?  Because those foods do not contain whey isolate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jamienichols22
on 11/25/13 9:45 am - MI

That's why I was asking because it totally didn't make sense to me. I like the adkins RTD shakes as well but wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy for thinking that it really didn't matter.

Jamie Nichols

Jen Lyn
on 11/25/13 7:14 am
RNY on 11/11/13

thanks for posting about Premier. I will watch my future purchases

jamienichols22
on 11/25/13 9:46 am - MI

No as Poet_Kelly said I think that we can absorb it just fine because not all the meat and diary that you eat has whey isolate in it. I personally think that it is fine to have.

Jamie Nichols

poet_kelly
on 11/25/13 10:11 am - OH

None of the meat you eat has whey isolate in it.  Whey is a milk product.  Meat and eggs have no whey isolate in them.  Most dairy products do not have whey isolate either, because while whey isolate is made from milk, it has to be processed in a particular way.  A glass of milk does not contain whey isolate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jamienichols22
on 11/25/13 10:30 am - MI

Okay that is what I was asking :) Thank you so much because I was like how does my "food" going to give me whey protein isolate

Jamie Nichols

PetHairMagnet
on 11/25/13 8:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13

It was pretty much all my husband drank for 6 weeks prior and 2 weeks after surgery and his protein numbers came back very high.  I know it is the recommended shake at my COE as well.  Not sure if that surgeon is correct, but I only know what mine is telling me...so who knows? :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jamienichols22
on 11/25/13 9:49 am - MI

I think that they are full of crap at the surgeon's office (mine) because like Kelly said not everything you have has got isolate in it. I was just asking to see if anyone else had been told that or if they thought there was a difference. Personally as long as it has protein as the main ingredient then I think that it would be fine (whey concentrate, isolate, soy)

Jamie Nichols

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/25/13 10:07 am - OH

Does your doctor's office sell a particular brand of protein drink, perhaps?  Often when they spout nonsense about protein supplements, it is because they (or the affiliated hospital) has a deal with a particular manufacturer.

It would be one thing for them to warn you about truly inferior types of protein (in terms of absorption of the protein) such as collagen or pea protein, but ALL of the forms of whey protein, as well as egg white protein, have a PDCAAS of 1.0 (perfect score) and soy protein is close behind (.92, if I remember correctly).  Collagen protein is almost useless (the New a whey "shots" have a PDCAAS of less than 1), and pea protein has a score of sixty-something.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views