Goal weight

applegirljae
on 11/8/13 12:36 pm

I had my first appointment for the program on Wednesday and I got to spend a lot of time talking to my surgeon.  She seems so straight forward and knowledgeable and I really like her.  As we were talking I told her that my goal weight would be 131.  At 5'3" I would be in the normal BMI range and 101 lbs lighter then my average adult weight.  She told me that she doesn't want me to get caught up in a number and feels like my goal would be better set at 150 lbs.  She said that any less than that could leave me feeling less energetic and looking gaunt and old.  And by trying to achieve such a low weight I could be setting myself up for failure.

How did you pick the weight you became?  Did your body just fall at a certain weight? Did you go by your doctor's suggestion or your own.  And if you did lose such an access of weight did you indeed look old and have no energy?

MrsLitch
on 11/8/13 1:21 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I too am 5'3", the doctor's goal weight or considered a success rate for me was 156 pounds I knew I was not having this surgery to just lose 88 pounds and live with the weight I can remember still looking heavy at the last time I weighed that. I set an outloud goal of 120 and a secret goal of 107. The secret goal was a pipe dream to me I just wanted to weigh what I did after I had my first child again. While I was excited when I reached 120 I am much happier in the 107-111 range I've stayed since my one year appt. While they stressed for me not to lose any more weight, I also know I don't want to gain any more weight! The doctor also told me I would look anorexic at 107, when he saw me at that weight he marveled at how good I looked, I know myself better than he does. I know what I looked like at the various weights throughout my life. I say set your goal to whatever you want it to be!

To see me at the different weights you can look at my photos in my profile they are set to public I believe.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

applegirljae
on 11/9/13 7:03 am

I'll take a look at your pics, MrsL. Thanks!!

Karen R.
on 11/8/13 2:35 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

My post-op care has been vague at best (one of the disadvantages of having the surgery overseas).  No discussion of goal weight was had.  I just had my six month (closer to seven) follow-up last week and again didn't talk about how much weight I should have lost by this stage nor how much further I had to go.  All I got was a general, "Nice job."  I'm satisfied with that.

All that being said, I chose 125 as my initial goal and am now thinking I'd like to get down to 118 ultimately.  I based these numbers on how I felt when I was smaller years back and what I was always told by doctors (my GP) and friends at that time.  In college, I maintained between 135 and 140.  Yet the entire time I felt fat and was told by basically everyone I had another 10 pounds to lose.  I also barely fit into junior size 13 (which was basically the biggest you could buy at that time), so 135-140 would feel like failure to me (no matter how rooted in reality that viewpoint actually is).

Weighing 125 would put me squarely in the middle of a "normal" BMI (and yes, I know that designation may not be worth the powder it would take to blow it up, but at least it's a way of thinking of "normal").  That stretch goal of 118 would be to give me a little bounce back room once my malabsoption stops.

I'm not wedded to any of this.  I need to see how I look and feel as I continue to lose the weight.  But I figure it's doable.  I'm not quite seven months out and I'm only 24 lbs from my initial goal.  While my weight loss is slowing, I'm still losing 7-9 pounds a month.

It seems reasonable.  But talk to me when I'm 18 months out.  ;-p

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

applegirljae
on 11/9/13 7:08 am

Below 135 would make me at a normal BMI weight.  I do take the BMI into some consideration for a goal.  I also thought about trying to lose as low as I can just incase of any rebound weight that happens.

E R.
on 11/8/13 7:35 pm - Switzerland

I had my surgery in Switzerland and they are super conservative. There was no goal set for me and when I asked after 3 months I was told that 154 pds is a good weight for me. I am 5.6. I have however set a target for myself in the middle of a healthy BMI at 132 pds. I am 12 pounds from my Dr's target and I already feel very happy with my weight. So, I will assess as I go along, but would like to loose enough weight to have a bit of a cushion.  

Just follow your Dr's guidance - after 3 months you will be much clearer on where you want to be. The 1st 3 months was a  big rollercoaster ride for me.

Bon Courage

RNY:  4 June 2013

applegirljae
on 11/9/13 11:41 am

Thanks, E.R!  I'm keeping an open mind that thru this process I will flip flop between many decisions and opinions :)

Katie K.
on 11/8/13 8:12 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
My surgeon refuses to put a number to it. He just wants us to be healthy. I picked 130 because that's what my sister-in-law weighs and we're both 5'4". Someone of the same height posted a pic on here and she looked fabulous at 150.

KatBee
on 11/8/13 8:58 pm

My Primary Care Dr. told me to not focus on a number but on how I felt & looked at a weight. She told me that "you may feel you look to thin at your goal weight of 130, but let's get closer to that number & see how you feel"

The Dr who did my bypass told me that he wanted me to reach 150-155 because I would look like I was 130 at 150 (UMM NO). I am also 5'3" and I am currently 141, 150-155 would keep my BMI at "overweight" and this is not what I did this for. I have a personal goal of 130 which gives me a buffer in case I gain weight back (and we all do) to stay at a healthy BMI. At my height I can keep my BMI in the normal range from 105-140, personally I think I would be to thin at anything under 120. I also am keeping in mind that one day I want to have a tummy tuck & I will drop more weight from the skin removal. So I don't want to be lower then 130 when I have that done.

applegirljae
on 11/9/13 11:52 am

KatBee, you've been reading my mind! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 88 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?