Second round of pre-op blood work?

Dukemom
on 10/22/13 10:40 am
RNY on 12/17/13

On my first round of consults, the medical doctor ordered fasting blood work; they took 17 vials of blood.

I go back (hopefully for my final medical clearance and to meet with the surgeon) on November 19th .  They have also added to my schedule another round of blood work; this time it's non-fasting.  Did this happen to anyone else?  Any clue what they might be looking for?

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

poet_kelly
on 10/22/13 10:51 am - OH

I don't know what they are looking for.  What tests did they order?  Why not ask the doc what they are looking for?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dukemom
on 10/22/13 11:05 am
RNY on 12/17/13

I thought they had tested for everything possible during the first round.  It took the lab worker 15 minutes to enter it all into the computer.  Quest billed BC/BS over $3,000.  The BC/BS contractual rate took over $2,000 off of the billed amount, then they paid the rest of it because I'm met my annual out-of-pocket maximum.

I'll ask the doctor when I see him again next month. 

Thanks for answering me!

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

PetHairMagnet
on 10/22/13 11:49 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM Pacific Time, Dukemom wrote:

I thought they had tested for everything possible during the first round.  It took the lab worker 15 minutes to enter it all into the computer.  Quest billed BC/BS over $3,000.  The BC/BS contractual rate took over $2,000 off of the billed amount, then they paid the rest of it because I'm met my annual out-of-pocket maximum.

I'll ask the doctor when I see him again next month. 

Thanks for answering me!

I never have a test done without asking specifically why it is being done. You might find they sometimes order things not needed or duplicated.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

apurdie
on 10/22/13 12:22 pm - CA

I remember the first few times around, they took lots of blood.  Can't be too careful!

barb.k
on 10/24/13 12:56 am - Williamson, GA

I had all my blood work done a couple months ago and am scheduled for surgery Nov 5th. My preop visit next week includes blood work, I think it is a type and screen. Just about anytime that you have surgery one of the consents that you sign is consent for blood transfusion (should you need it in OR). Type and screen just identifies what blood type you are just in case. If you need blood then they do a type and cross match to make sure it's specifically compatible for you. Chances are we won't need blood, but it's standard practice in good medicine.

Dukemom
on 10/24/13 2:04 am
RNY on 12/17/13

Makes sense Barb, thanks. I was thinking that was what it might be, since it was non fasting.

Are you counting down the days?  I hit 8 weeks out yesterday.

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 58 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 303 views