Keep on Keeping On.......

thynnlynn
on 8/21/13 12:18 am - MI

I've been absent for awhile and thought I would check in.  I had my surgery 3/13/13 and in the beginning of June was sidelined by a delayed hospital-acquired infection from my band revision to gastric bypass.  When the paramedics got there, my temp was 104.6, I was shaking terribly and freezing.

I was septic, in respiratory failure, had bacterial pneumonia and my bp was 40 something/30 and it took a long time for them to get everything straight.  I remember very little of what went on during those days and was in the hospital for over two weeks.  They told my family that if they wanted to see me to come because they were not sure I was going to survive.  But, I did.  I am still very weak and still in recovery mode, but finally got back to PT this week and am going to try to get my eating in a better place as I am not getting enough protein and a lot of meats just make me ill.

Although hospital-acquired infections may happen anywhere, I have had my fill of the place I chose for my surgery.  When I had the band put in, they also gave me the gift of c.diff. I figured that I would not get a gift the second time, but I was wrong.  So, I have not had a follow-up with my bariatric surgeon, have not had any bariatric-type labs run.  I called my surgeon's office to let them know what was going on and I never even got a call back, so I am just going to deal with this through my PCP.

Anyhow, it is a new day and, hopefully, I will get my eating back on track.  Since the illness, what I can and can not tolerate has changed dramatically.  Not mater what, do not let anything steer you away from this avenue if this is what you want.  I was able to send boxes and boxes of clothes that no longer fit to the consignment shop.  Gone are the 3X and 2X clothes, now replaced by L and XL.  No more plus size departments for me.  I have about 34 pounds to my personal goal of 150# and I will get there eventually.  This is not a race, just a new lifestyle.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

molly3613
on 8/21/13 12:26 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

So good to hear from you. I was wondering how you were doing.  Well I was not thinking anything as drastic as this was going on.  So glad you won that battle although I am so sorry you had to go,through that.  But onward.  You seem to be doing well with the weight loss.  I,guess being that sick you had no choice but to lose weight.  Anyway good to know you are now well and I will look forward to your posts in the future.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/21/13 1:52 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Goodness sakes! I am so sorry to hear all of this. I really, really hope you document and report all this to your health department and hospital licensing board in your state. For one person to have an infection after 2 different surgeries is ridiculous. And for your surgeon to be such a boo boo? Inexcusable! I hope you report him for lack of care to the licensing board as well. That is just egregious!

HUGS TO YOU! I cannot imagine walking 5 steps in your shoes, YAY for you in keeping a go-forward attitude!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

cajungirl
on 8/21/13 2:24 am

Wow sorry Lynn you've been through the ringer.  Your PCP should be able to handle your labs and should you have (hopefully not) complications you can pursue a new surgeon at that time.

Glad you are starting to feel better now.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

anewme71
on 8/21/13 2:25 am - TX
RNY on 10/11/13

Sounds like a battle you've been through. and yet still a positive attitude. That's a must for "keeping on" as you say. Hope it's all smooth sailing for you ahead.

Highest Weight 304, Feb 2013. Met with nutritionist in March 2013 and started diet. Surgery Weight 272 on 10/11/13.  Current weight 231.

Candy V.
on 8/21/13 3:09 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Wow :(  Glad your feeling better.  I look forward to seeing you active on the board again.

I would not use that surgeons office either, PCP should be able to order your labs.  Make sure you get coppies, read and track the results yourself, PCP may not catch trends.  I have a spreadsheet for excell that helps track labs if you want it. I got it from Poet Kelly, PM me your email and I will forward it.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

TomN
on 8/21/13 3:19 am
RNY on 12/27/12 with

You worked incredibly hard to do the revision so to see the vim and vigor that you are attacking things with now is not a surprise to me!  You got 150 in the bag and moxie in spades!  Was also wondering how you were doing and very happy to have an update that you have been through the ringer and come through the other side more determined than ever.  You are, in a word, inspirational!

Marie..g
on 8/21/13 3:38 am - WA

So sorry to hear about your difficult journey but I sure do admire your courage and positive attitude.  I hope you have calm seas and smooth sailing in your future.  I am 1 week out of my R-Y and I just had my first few bites of cream of wheat this morning.  It went down well.  I guess I have lost about 8 pounds since I checked in for my surgery last Wednesday.  I hope I will be able to exercise.  I am trying to have a positive attitude.  After hearing your story I am inspired.  Thank you.  MarieG

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 372 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 314 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 111 views
What's on your Monday Menu?