Birth control pill

NadiaM
on 7/26/13 8:48 am
Hi all!
I am new to this site and will be getting my surgery on October 1st. I am really more excited than nervous - just a little scared about dumping syndrome cause I've heard some pretty intense stories.

Besides that I actually have a question... I've been off birth control for about a year now and have been wanting to get back on because I get bad cramps and want to regulate my cycle. Do you guys think its a good idea to get back on before surgery or it really makes no difference?

Thanks in advance
AnniesSS
on 7/26/13 11:19 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I've had very little dumping, not everyone experiences it, so hopefully you won't :)

I'm not on the pill - I get the Dep shot every 3 months. No period at all = happy me :)

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

Katie K.
on 7/26/13 11:33 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I'm on the depo shot as well. I use it as a psych med because my pmdd got so bad that for three weeks out of the month I wanted to strangle people just for existing. Being that full of hatred and anger for no reason was miserable.

I hadn't really had a period in 2.5 years. After surgery I bled for a while. I figured it was from the blood thinners they gave me in the hospital. It went away and came back. I seem to have a period for a few days, then I have a few days off. It's only the mess, though. No various aches and pains, no psychological changes.

NadiaM
on 7/26/13 2:27 pm
Thanks for the feedback! Do you think it's worth it to get back on though?
Ashley G.
on 7/26/13 3:09 pm - VA

I was told to discontinue my birth control several weeks before my surgery because it can cause a higher risk of blood clots. Double check with you doc, but pretty sure they want you off of BC before the surgery... You can start back up afterwards. Hope this was helpful

Ericka K.
on 7/26/13 8:19 pm
I was also told if I was on the pill I had to stop it 6 weeks prior to surgery because it increases the chance of a blood clot. I think there are absorption issues with it after surgery and its not as effective but don't quote me on that. I had an IUD put in before surgery. It's great, I don't have to think about it for 5 years it's definitely something to talk to your bariatric nurse and surgeon about.
Katie K.
on 7/26/13 10:33 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I agree with the blood clot risk. I also agree that it's totally worth it after surgery. I was told we're at risk for blood clots 4-6 weeks post-op. Definitely ask your surgeon's office about it. I like the Depo shot because there are no hormone swings at all, and you only have to get it every three months. No worrying about missing a pill.

JenniPenny
on 7/27/13 2:22 am - MN

The pill isn't very effective post op for many women - that's why docs recommend 2 forms of birth control after surgery. If you're taking it for symptoms related to menstration then you may also find it doesn't work like it did. You'll have t be tested regularly to see if it's in your bloodstream and how much. Most have to have the amount and even the brand changed until your doc finds the right combination for you. I'd wait till after as it will change with absorbtion and other changes after surgery. Talk to your doc but most will tell you it's not effective for quite a while alone for birth control so it probably won't be effective for symptoms of bad periods either.

Jen 11+ yrs post op RNY

NadiaM
on 7/27/13 2:26 am
Thanks to all for the advice! I will definitely wait till post op to find a different solution! I've been off of it for a 1+ year... What's a few more months!
SarahLee1969
on 7/27/13 10:58 am - NY
I had to stop my pill 1 month before surgery, and wait a month after to restart... which should mean 2 months post op the pill would be effective. My doctor recommended a back up method (condoms, etc****il 3-4 months post op. I think I ended up somewhere between the 3rd and 4th post op month when I stopped the back up method, relying on the pill entirely (for birth control and minimizing migraine frequency. I'm almost 1 yr out now and have had no pregnancies and migraines have been well controlled.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 78 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 78 views