Vitamins

thynnlynn
on 2/24/13 3:43 am - MI

We have to leave at 4am for the three hour drive for my PAT (#2) for RnY surgery on the 13th.

Went vitamin shopping today as they were on sale at Rite-Aid.  I got 2 large-size bottles of 500mg Citracal w/D3 as they were buy one, get one half off (and will be needing 4 per day), got the sublingual B-12 as they were on sale and got some B complex cause it was on sale and I used to take it a long time ago and I think I felt a little better when I took it.  I do not think I will need extra iron.  I have enough of the generic Centrum for Women +50's to last for awhile taking 2 each day.

Kelly - Thank you for the schedule.  I have it in my desk where I will be taking my vitamins.

Things are now starting to become very REAL for me.  Cannot wait to be on the loser's bench!

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

quiltpainter
on 2/24/13 4:55 am - CT

Is the citracal chewable? I have been looking for chewable but haven't found them in stores. I don't think anyone can take pills for the first 6 weeks with RNY.

Good luck on your surgery let us know how you do.

poet_kelly
on 2/24/13 4:58 am - OH

The only chewables Citracal makes are tricalcium phosphate, which we can't absorb after RNY.  We need calcium citrate.

Some patients prefer to take chewables after surgery and some doctors recommend chewables, but others take pills right away.  I was swallowing pills with no trouble 12 hours after my operation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/24/13 12:30 pm - OH

Lots of people take pills almost immediately after surgery, just cutting any larger ones in half, and have no trouble at all.  Many surgeons don't make their patients take only chewables or crush pills into applesauce or whatever.  Unless the pill is very large or your stoma is very swollen, swallowing pills isn't usually a problem.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

thynnlynn
on 2/24/13 6:22 am - MI

I am not getting any chewables.  I have some larger pills that are going to need to be cut, but I will be swallowing pills right after surgery even though my place recommends chewable or liquid for a bit.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Sherrie P.
on 2/24/13 9:10 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Look for the Petites if you have trouble with the full size ones.

The pain meds they gave me in the hosp were tablets. I was was cleared to swallow vitamins and calcium at 2 weeks.

Good luck!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

thynnlynn
on 2/24/13 12:01 pm - MI

We bring our own vitamins to the hospital and I also cart my box of meds along with me because of an issue in the past where they did not have a very important drug I needed.

I also have a pill cutter in there as I have some that will probably need to be cut in 1/4's.  The Citrical ones that I bought are huge and might need to be cut more than once as well.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

poet_kelly
on 2/24/13 6:55 pm - OH

Taking any unusual or hard to get meds with you is a good idea.  The ASMBS says to start vitamins when you are discharged from the hospital, but if you're going to be there more than a day or two, it makes sense to take them with you. 

Most hospitals, by the way, will NOT have the vitamins we need in their pharmacy.  I was in the hospital for five days in November, and they only had calcium carbonate, not citrate; only D2, not D3; and only ferrous sulfate, not carbonyl iron.  I had someone bring my own vitamins from home.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 494 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 393 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 381 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 320 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 206 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?