V8 juice...12 oz. or more a day OK?

MBsRNY
on 1/14/13 12:05 pm - Baltimore, MD

For months I've been drinking a small 5 Oz. can as part of my lunch (yes, I spread it out from the eating part by 30 minutes or so).  I started doing this because I found that a few months after surgery, I really, really missed the taste of vegetables and couldn't eat enough of them to satisfy me without overstuffing my pouch or squeezing out room for protein.

Now I'm wondering if I could up that to the larger 11.5 oz. can and that it might actually be a good thing to incorporate that into my -rest of my life diet.  (I'm  9 months out by the way and at the stage where I'd like to lose more, but would not be discontent to stop losing.)   An 11.5 oz. can is just 70 calories, 14 g. carbs, 3 g. fiber, 9 g. sugar,  3 g. protein.   Most of the rest of my everyday diet consists of lean protein (chicken, tuna, salmon, greek yogurt or...worst case, low-fat Babybel cheese) plus 1 cup of frozen fruit mixed in to a Syntrax Nectar protein smoothie each AM.   Oh...and I typically have LOW blood pressure and don't eat a lot of other things with much sodium, so I think the salt content is not a big deal.

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
Stephanie M.
on 1/14/13 12:11 pm

I don't know whether dumping is an issue for you.  If 5 oz works, why not just have it a couple of times per day? 

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/14/13 12:42 pm - OH

I have V8 juice a few times a week, and have been since I was several months out.

The sodium doesn't bother me at all, it is low in calories, has some vitamins, tastes good, and is a nice change from flavored or plain water.  A win all around, IMO.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cherokeesage
on 1/14/13 3:40 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I plan to start drinking V8 for something different.  I love putting V8 in my homemade chili.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

artroxy blue
on 1/14/13 8:18 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

V8 was a lifesaver for me after surgery, so we keep it around when I have a hankering for it. LOL I think it's a great option, so go for it. :) Good luck!

Larry Wassmann
on 1/14/13 9:57 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I have it sometimes as well, I was told I could have it by my NUT. It is a nice change of pace. I don't have a problem with sodium, so I see no reason not to enjoy an 11oz. V8 ever so often. Just as you are doing, have it at snack time, or at least 30 minutes after you eat a meal. At work if you can take it to your work station and sip it instead of coffee. Unless of course you have a mean boss like I was who likes to make his employees suffer. kiss

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

JanBooth
on 1/14/13 10:01 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I'm glad you posted this! I had forgotten about V8 juice.  I LOVE it, and am always looking for something new to drink.  I get stuck on something and then burn out.  What a nice change to my shakes, lemonade and coffee drinks! 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/13 1:01 am - Cicero, IN

My post op diet plan said no more than 8oz daily. And most days I have some cuz it really is a nice change from the shakes and such. I started making me a chicken soup (Unjury) and V8 mixer to get in fluids and protein without the sweet taste. I also mixed 4 oz V8 and 4 oz Bold and Spicy Bloody Mary mix. Yummmm....and good protein to boot. Sometimes I'd add the unflavored Unjury and end up with a 35 g protein drink.  I would shake it all up good and then pop it in the microwave to get it nice and warm and was like sipping spicy chicken broth.

wendydettmer
on 1/15/13 1:11 am - Rochester, NY

I am not a fan of V8, but do make my own green smoothies, mostly with greens.  

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

BWB
on 1/15/13 1:31 am

If i have it on hand I add it to beef stew, chili, the flavor is good and nutritional value is good too.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 116 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?