Hernia Surgery - ouch - sprung a leak

rbb825
on 12/19/12 9:43 pm - Suffern, NY

Last Wednesday I had surgery for a Ventral hernia - open. OH, MY, GOD - this was the most painful thing I have gone through. I think even more than my bowel obstruction or maybe I just dont remember. The surgeon said it would hurt but I never dreamed how bad. He did it open = about 5 inches - using part of the same incisions that were used for my other surgeries - the bottom half which is where the hernia was - top half is fine. He said he put in a huge piece of mesh so it wouldnt reoccur and that is what is causing the pain. He also put in a J tube which was removed before I left the hospital last Saturday.

I have been home recovering, mostly resting in bed due to the pain but I do get out a bit to walk around. I live alone so I think I did a bit too much bending on my own Last night before going to bed, I notice my abdomen pretty hard, but other than that, I was fine. All of a sudden I got up to go to the bathroom a couple of hours later and I was full of blood - my underwear, my sweats, down my legs. I cleaned myself off and looked at was going on and and saw - the area where the j tube was = opened up and red fluid was flowing out of it. I grabbed some guagze pads and taped them to my abdomen and pressed down to try to get it to stop. Went back to bed. I got up in the early am and it started again. I packed a bag and called 911 - went to the ER. Was there for about 5 hours until my surgeon came to look at it. He said it was fine, just the clear redish fluid that actually needs to come out and drain. It just seems so massive. Still not sure why so much = it is now the next day and still coming out. He gave me about 10 thick abdominal pads and said I could also use maxi pads to absorb it, so he must expect alot to come out. He said unless it becomes actually blood and water consistancy - it is fine, if becomes blood, or I develop a fever, then to come back. They did take a culture to make sure.

How long until you felt normal? How long until you were able to drive? He said I could but I am a nervous with the pain and drain stuff all on the right side = afraid it might affect moving my right left.

thanks

Misty Morgan
on 12/19/12 11:39 pm - Goshen , OH
RNY on 04/24/13
This happened with my c-section. And it was horrible. The fluid actually pushed my incision open so be careful. Luckily it's just draining from the place your drain was. My advice is to wear a maxi pad over the drain to save your clothes. You want the fluid out though. Mine took weeks to get better but my incision was also wide open.

Sherry T.
on 12/20/12 7:51 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
This happened after my c-section too. I had to wear the drain for about 10. days after....I bent over to pick my son up out of the bassinet and felt a stitch pop..sure enough it came through the drain. I was so thankful I didn't have one with this surgery...but I mentally prepared myself since I was about the same size both times. I remember using the maxi pads too. It does get better. He should have prepared you for the amount cause it can be quiet alarming.

Hang in there!!

Sherry
rbb825
on 12/22/12 5:53 pm - Suffern, NY

I have 2 or 3 gauze pads with an abdominal pad over it which is working great.  The gauze pads are enough to collect the fluid which I am checking every time I stand up or go to the restroom and am able to change them.  If am not able to, I have the abdominal pad over the them as a back up with is like a superdooper maxi pad (5' X 9")  My surgery was 10 days ago and still draining - will see how long it drains.

Mal
on 12/20/12 12:03 am

He is right--you want that fluid out and to drain.  Years ago (before wls) after my panni removal surgery I had 2 hernias repaired from my csections.  I know the pain you mean!  I felt like I couldn't stand up all the way straight until the skin and mesh fell into place.  Muscles need to heal around the mesh too.  I developed a condition after my 2nd drain came out where fluid collected under the skin and pooled up and became really hot.  I had to go in weekly for 2 months for it to drain, and then ultimately had to have a 2nd drain placed for another month after that.  Once it cleared up I was fine but it was very uncomfortable. 

So glad you are on the mend.

Mallisa

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/20/12 1:50 am - OH
My hernia repair was a six in*****ision with a large piece of me**** is a pretty close tie between that and my tummy tuck as the most painful surgery I have ever had (and my RNY, hysterectomy, and appendectomy were all open). The one side where the mesh was attached was painful for about 8 weeks, but the overall pain was bearable without pain meds in about 4. I could stay off the pain meds long enough to be able to drive (but then take some when I got home!) sometime the second week.

Yes, sometimes abdominal surgeries create a lot of fluid, and it needs to come out. If it doesn't, it can become a seroma that might need to be manually drained. I have had two seromas from two separate surgeries that both had to be manually drained every couple of days for several weeks, and it was not fun.

I hope you heal quickly!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/20/12 10:05 pm - OH
Just wanted to check back in and see how you are doing....

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 12/22/12 6:06 pm - Suffern, NY

Thanks - the pain is alot better and the draining is better but still there.  I actually left my apartment for the first time and went to play BINGO = was going crazy couped up for so long and had to get out - also stopped at  CVS to buy more gauze pads.

I packed a bag with about 20 or so gauze pads and 1 extra abdominal pad and off I went.  I didnt wear the binder because I thought it would be too hard to use the restroom and change the gauzepads so I just wore a pair of tighter jeans to hold it the same way.  I went to the ladies room every hour to make sure there wasnt too much drainage and changed the pads each time to keep it dry - didnt need to do it that often but did anyway.  Once I got to the Bingo center, I took my pain killer and I did great. It was nice to be out amongst humans.

Once I got home, I changed them again and put on another abdominal pad.  Took off the tight jeans and put on my loose sweats and got into bed.  First night out - a SUCCESS.  Tomorrow is another day.

Thanks so much for thinking of me.

Most Active
Recent Topics