New to the forum and frustrated

hwbrewer11709
on 8/1/12 11:15 pm - Ravenel, SC
RNY on 10/02/12 with
Morning All,

I've been snooping around on these pages for months....you all are such an inspiration and offer daily encouragement that I've grown quite addicted to :-)
My sister had RNY in April and has lost 60+ pounds....she looks amazing!  Unfortunately, my insurance doens't cover the surgery (absolute exclusion) despite have a BMI of 50 and 3 comorbidities - ugh.  So, I've been working with my bariatric center to finance the surgery.  I completed all the required tests and was set to have my pre-op appt 8/1 and my EGD today but unfortunately, the financing piece didn't pan out and I'm bummed.  I'm trying to remain positive and seach other ways to get this surgery because, well, my life depends on it.  
I'm 34 yrs old and I feel like I am sitting on the side lines of my life.  I seem to have the worst luck and its frustrating.  Just wishing it was my turn to have some good vibes come my way :-)
Ok, pity party is over.......Thanks again for the daily inspiration.
If anyone has any insight on how to finance the RNY...I'd appreciate the feedback.

Hugs to you all!
Heidi
Dani Dutch
on 8/1/12 11:22 pm - Netherlands
Sorry to read that this is not covered for you. I hope somebody on this site can help you. Best of luck.
pittgal08
on 8/2/12 12:33 am
I'm so sorry for your struggle. Many years ago my insurance also had an absolute exclusion for wls, and I think it's so ridiculous. It just shows that so many people still don't understand what these surgeries are all about. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice to give you, but I can support you. You are so worth it so just keep on keepin on. Blessings!

Jennifer M.
on 8/2/12 1:02 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
My insurance also excluded WLS, and there was no way I could ever afford surgery at a hospital in my home town.  So, I started looking at medical tourism options.  I paid $11,000 for my surgery in Mexico, but I know there are less expensive options (although, price should never be a primary decision factor in choosing a surgeon).  

You might want to look into starting a health savings account, since HSA's often integrate with your insurance coverage, and contributions to a HSA have preferential tax treatment.

In order to have my surgery, I did sacrifice quite a bit.  We've been without a second car for two years, and I put off going back to school.  

mg220
on 8/2/12 1:08 am
RNY on 08/08/12
Hi Heidi!

I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting financing for the surgery! I can't really give you any insite into ways to finance the surgery but I can offer you support! Even with insurance it is a long, long process to get aproved and can be very frusterating so I can undesrtand your frusteration (it took me 16 months from the start). Have you considered other options? I have heard people have some sucess with working with a nutritionist and I myself found this VERY helpful and did loose weight. I know the feeling of "my life is waiting" and I can imagine how frusterated you must be. Have faith in yourself and try to stay positive. Def try to explore other financing options as well.

Good Luck and Feel free to cantact me if you need support!
Meg
Meg

Surgery Date: August 8th, 2012
HW: 285 / Surgery Day Weight: 274 / CW: 237.5 / Goal Weight: 160

"BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD"
-GANDHI

hwbrewer11709
on 8/2/12 1:41 am - Ravenel, SC
RNY on 10/02/12 with
Thanks all for the supprt.  I, like most people considering WLS, have tried every diet out there.  I've spent thousands on nutritionists, weight loss programs, personal trainers, etc.  Obesity has been an issue for me since childhood.  WLS was never an option for me until a few years ago when I went from being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and had to have my entire thyroid gland removed which led to extreme hypothyroidism.  Now I can't seem to lose weight no matter what I do.  Thanks for all the feedback so far....you are all angels!
Heidi

feistyemm
on 8/2/12 2:28 am - Westchester, NY
 I don't understand this exclusion thing at all. It's awful. I don't know anything about your life -- like what you do for a living -- if you are in a position to change jobs where you could get different insurance with better coverage. Just thinking outside the box here. If your life depends on it, maybe it is something worth considering? Or discussing with your employer the insurance they have, and adding a rider to what they have, or fighting the insurance company with you or for you?

Just something to think about!

Marla

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm
Surgery Date: 4/21/2005; HW: 333/ SW: 271/ CW:133/ GOAL: 150 or UNDER

Highest BMI: 54.7; BMI Now: 22.6 -- Jeans before surgery: 32. Now: 6
PS: 2006/7 LBL, Bracheoplasty & Upper Thigh Lift. 8/2012: UBackLift & Breast Implants
(redone 3 times). 7/17/18: vertical thigh lift (needs to be redone - left too much skin) &
replacement of 1 breast implant due to rupture (still needs to be fixed due to placement).

hwbrewer11709
on 8/2/12 3:01 am - Ravenel, SC
RNY on 10/02/12 with
I am a mental health counselor and I work for the State of SC Dept of Mental Health.  I've been employed with this agency for nearly 10 years and I'm currently in school working on a second master's degree in social work.  I love my job and I'm passionate about working with the mentally ill. I can't imagine finding another job that would pay as well and offer better insurance especially in my career field.  I'm most frustrated because I can't get  a loan to pay for the surgery despite have the income to pay for it.....ridiculous really.  I will not give up.....if I have to sell everything I own and move back in with my parents, so be it.  Just disappointed it didn't happen like I initially planned but it will happen one day.
Again, thanks for the support!
Heidi

Dani Dutch
on 8/2/12 3:05 am - Netherlands
If you are interested in going to another country for this, here is one woman's story:
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.nl/p/my-story.html
Sherrie P.
on 8/2/12 12:59 pm
RNY on 02/06/13
I was Banded in Mexico.  The experience there was nice.  The band is a plastic devil.  I don't blame that on going to Mexico ;-)

I won't go back to Mexico for the RNY, because my insurance covers it now.

I would consider going back for plastics. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 405 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 66 views