Things they did not tell me about post op...

truthbenaked
on 10/19/11 11:14 pm
Hello Everyone,

I just finished reading the wonderful entry by another member that had surgery the same day as I, Monday October 17. I even had a similar experience. The surgeon told my husband the surgery went perfect. I was walking ever 2 to 4 hours. I have no problem swallowing the liquids and the pain is very tolerable.

When I got home today, (Wednesday, October 19), I was anxious to start my protein shakes and get my recovery going in the right directions from the start. Since I missed breakfast I started my stage 2 instructions from noon on. I mixed my bariatric advantage protein shake with lactaide milk. I was told I could use water, but I thought I would be smart and get the extra protein from the milk.

The afternoon went great. multivitamin at 11:15, protein shake 12:30 - 2:00, Calcium chew (bariatric advantages 500tablet), walking, snack at 3, little nap, walk at 5:30, next shake 6 mixed with lactaide milk and layered with 2 BA 250Calcium chocolate chews. Some were after my second does of 3 Tsp of shake I got dizzy and a cold sweat. I decided I could finish my shake and laid down at 7:30.

I plan to call my surgeon in the morning, but I suspect I encountered a mini-dumping. I just don't know what exactly did it. The milk, the 250 calcium chocolate chews, or a combination of both? The really bad part is after laying down in bed for two hours I defecated on myself in the bed. There was no warning, it just came out. Now my "perfect" surgery is not feeling so perfect. I am also afraid of dehydration. A friend told me that happens to some people but for me this was very unexpected. My question is for how long? I"m guessing I will need to depends, just hoping not for too long. I'm very nervous and looking for some help and guidance.
Dan OBrien
on 10/19/11 11:29 pm - FL
I was just recently looking at milk and milk substitutes in the store.  I have yet to have any (except for the little bit in my decaf coffee) and realized they had a great amount of sugar in them- ~12g per cup.  I don't know if that could push you into dumping, but that's why I haven't used milk or any of the others.

As for the defecation - I had a few accidents early on until my bowels got adjusted and I got back to some normal BM's.

Definitely call your surgeon or NUT if you're worried - that's what they're there for - they work for you.

Good luck
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

Paul C.
on 10/20/11 3:52 am - Cumming, GA
Remember there is a difference between Natural Sugar and refined sugar.  Natural Sugar is the Lactose in your milk another place you will get natural sugars are from Fruits.  Some people do become lactose intolerant which is what may have happened to the OP.  I have drank milk since day 3 with ZERO problems.  My milk tolerance is to the point I can drink it before I do a long run were some runners won't do dairy for a day or so prior to a long run or race.  Hell before more Half Marathon I had a Protein shake with 10oz of milk and 3 Bananas since I knew I would be buring about 5000 calories that day I wasn't worried about the calories.

Yes watch your sugars ESPECIALLY REFINED.  but if you avoid everything that has a sugar content your choice are going to become BLAH very quick.

Now I am not saying go drink a gallon of milk this week.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
inmyownskin
on 10/19/11 11:51 pm - Westbury, NY

It may actually be the lactaid milk. During my preop class I was told not to have lactaid milk because of the amount of sugar in it.  They told me we can use the lactaid drops in  food but not the milk itself.  We were told almond breeze or soy milk was ok but no lactaid.  Try using something else and see if you still experience the same feeling.  Keep us posted.

HW: 293 SW (lap-band 2007): 280 Consult Weight: 264 CW: 214
SW (RNY 2011): 254 Personal GW: 150 Surgeon's GW: 140

glzgowlass
on 10/20/11 12:03 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I have never used lactaid, but I use Silk unsweetened almond milk and it has zero grams of sugar per cup.  It give a nice flavor and texture to my protein shakes. 

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 12:25 am - Mira Loma, CA
One poster here has a saying, "never trust a fart".  I was "poo poohed" for suggesting that people returning to work bring an "emergency kit" to work with them.  My wife had an early gastric surgery in 1980 that has many issues, including spontaneous diarrhea.  The emergency kit should consist of a colored plastic bag, with a couple of zip lock bags inside, a couple changes of underwear, a washcloth or container of Handi Wipes, deoderizer spray like Ozium, etc.  Anyting to help cleen yourself up.  I'm retired, but I've had issues like this on occasion at home.  At work, you'll need to be prepared. Or, even if you don't have a job, a kit like this would be helpful to keep in your car.  Soiled undies and the wash cloth can be sealed in the ziplock bags. The colored bag will conceal the contents from fellow workers or others.  This issue may not be dumping at all.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

truthbenaked
on 10/20/11 1:34 am
I have heard the saying "never trust a fart" and have believed throughout my experience so far. This wasn't a fart, it just happened. If it's not dumping than what is it? I will definately be bringing an emergency kit when I return to work. Thanks for the suggestion.
notagain
on 10/20/11 1:05 am
I was on clear liquids for a full week after surgery. What is your nuts plan?
~KRIS
Band - 1/28/2008,  Revision - 9/16/2011, Ht - 5'9 
HW-335/Band SW-310/ Revision SW-285/CW-236

truthbenaked
on 10/20/11 1:35 am
@notagain: I was on clear liquids while in the hospital and told to progress to stage two liquids once discharged. I have emailed my nutritionist and waiting for her to call back.
KELLY R.
on 10/20/11 1:22 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12
I'm so super happy to hear about the unsweetened almond milk being ok, because I've never been big on cow's milk and the unsweetened almond milk is all I drink right now.  This was a concern I had so thank you!!

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?