Things they did not tell me about post op...

shellbell75
on 10/20/11 3:15 am
When I first has surgery I too used unsweetened almond milk. 4 months out I am using regular skim milk. I felt the insweetened almond milk was easier for me to digest. Are you eating the chaulky calcium tablets or the chewy ones? Dehydration can be avoid by pushing fluids. I have heard that early out the defecation can happen to people. I personally had the oppisite happen, and thats no fun either. :( Good luck.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Frances S.
on 10/20/11 4:03 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 Yes, that was dumping.  I would suspect either the lactaid milk or possibly the calcium chews, or a combo of both.  According to lactaid's website, the enzyme they add breaks the lactose down into glucose and galactose.  I, personally, don't have a problem with lactose, but I know some people do dump on milk sugar.  No clue how putting 12 grams of glucose directly into your small intestine is going to react, but I wouldn't doubt that caused your dumping.  BA's website says each chew is 3 grams of sugar alcohol... some also can't tolerate sugar alcohols.

this isn't anything they could have really told you because everyone is going to react differently.  I'm sure they must have explained dumping though.  Its going to be trial and error as to what you can tolerate.  I can do lactose and fructose, but refined sugar that is relatively liquid or highly concentrated makes me woozy and usually will cause an RH episode later on.  But I only know this from figuring what happens with my body.

Ladytazz
on 10/20/11 4:14 am
I had the same experience as you did early out with the diarrhea.  No warning at all.  I was told that this was because of the handling of the intestines during surgery and the possiblity of them being flushed.  It ended after 2 weeks.
It sounds like you dumped.  I would take the advice of not using regular or lactaid milk for now.  Also, what is in the calcium chews?  Sugar or sugar alcohols?  I will dump on too many sugar alcohols.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

April A.
on 10/20/11 5:50 am - SC
My nut said that if you use the calcium chews, chew one in the morning and one at night because two at one time may cause dumping.

Now, reading all of these other great posts...how do you know what is refined sugar and what is the other kind(the name left me)?

truthbenaked
on 10/20/11 7:24 am
Kind of replying to everyone regarding the calcium chews. I used the chalky one in the afternoon, and tried two of the chews for the dinner shake. The chews have 3g sugar alcohol each. It would be a shame if I had to only use the chalky kind, the chews taste great. For now I am mixing my shakes with water. My nutritionist said not to do any calcium until I am off the shakes.  
Marianne H.
on 10/20/11 9:06 am - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15
This happened to me during my first week as well. I ate plain FF unsweetened yogurt and it caused me to dump.I was weak, arms felt heavy, dizzy, shaking, and sweating. 4 hours later while in bed asleep I awoke to nearly pooping the bed. I rolled out and ran to the bathroom while hugging my poor aching belly the whole time! I barely made it. Now at 3 1/2 weeks out it seems that I tolerate yogurt fine. What was it? Who knows. Take heart that it may not have been anything you did. It will get easier and better soon
danvet
on 10/20/11 12:45 pm
 OMG!!  Thank you for these posts.  I think this place is going to be my survival guide when I have surgery.  I'm taking the pre-op classes in early November and thanks to these posts I plan to follow what they say to the letter.  

The emergency kit is the most well thought of idea.  I'm hoping this won't happen to me but I bet it does at some point.  "Never trust a fart" is about the best thing I've heard since I heard of crop dusting, lol.

I think I'm seriously going to buy some depends for early on, particularly at night.  Nothing is probably worse than having to wake up soiled in the middle of the night only to have to change the linens :(

Good tip about the milk, lactaid, and sugars in those things.  I am finding there is so much more to learn.  Thanks everyone!
Tai M.
on 10/20/11 1:08 pm
 my doctor doesnt allow milk for the first 4 moths a s it can cause dumping
Ding-E-Girl
on 10/21/11 10:48 am - MS
    SO the term "dumping" means pooping ???   For some reason I thought it meant throwing up !!!  
Loveshinesthru
on 10/21/11 11:43 am - Mesa, AZ
 I had diarrhea the whole time i was on shakes and liquids. It could have just been that too? it didnt harden up until i moved on to the next stage. 

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 80 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??