new here have question please

xraynail
on 1/19/08 2:05 pm - Okeechobee, FL
I just found this board yay! I was diagnosed with fms about 5 yrs ago after 3 yrs of testing. My question is I am pre-op and have been reading on here that nsaids and anti-inflamitory's are off limits. The surgeon also told me that the surgery can cause a flare-up, did anyone here have this happen? I hav also read that alot of people are taking lyrica, has this really helped? thanks Laurie

Highest373/Surgery335/Goal 175 
PLUS 38 POUNDS LOST PRYOR TO SURGERY

Debjynx
on 1/20/08 8:46 am - MN
Hi  I had surgery a little over 14 months ago.  I did not have a flare-up for months afterwards.  I do on occasion miss my Nsaids but can still take flexeral and Tylenol 3.  I have read alot about Lyrica and it does seem to be working for a lot of people.  I can pretty much control my fibro with those 2 drugs and swimming 3 times a week.  Hope that helps. Deb
Jeannie D.
on 1/21/08 12:37 am - NE
I have never heard that nsaids are off limit.  HELP!!  Jeannie
Debjynx
on 1/22/08 12:36 am - MN
My surgeon will not allow any kind of Nsaids too hard on your new stomach. Deb
xraynail
on 1/20/08 2:53 pm - Okeechobee, FL
THANKS I WILL CHECK INTO THOSE. LAURIE

Darlene W.
on 1/22/08 7:42 am - Arcata, CA
my doc won't let me have anything like that either. But I went to a pain clinic 4 years ago and they put me on methadone.  I can take that with no problem and then i take vicodin on the break through pain/ 
Darlene W.
on 1/22/08 7:43 am - Arcata, CA
me again.  The nsaids (?) can cause a hole in your new pouch so you don't want to take that.  Its just like having an ulcer.
phyllis gilbert
on 1/25/08 2:16 pm - frankenmuth, MI
 I was told no NSAIDS also !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is true, it can give you an ulcer.                                                Phyllis
Phyllis Gilbert
Sharon27
on 1/27/08 1:05 am - Ponca City, OK

Laurie,   I am 31/2 yrs out from surgery. Have Fibro, Rheumatoid as well as Osteo...nothing like having 3 or the arthritises....Anyway, find a pain management doctor who can help you to manage the pain. My RNY surgery did not make anything flare up but I did have fairly good pain control going before surgery. I had to have a knee replacement about a year ago.and this resulted in a flareup. I took Lyrica at the low dose without any changes in pain, My doctor is now trying me on the higher dose. He says about 50% get some relief. I am hoping but so far none.  I use Flexeril, Percocet, Ultram, and a combination of heat and rest to get thru the worst times. I do take a baby aspirin daily, chewable but also take Zantac to help prevent an ulcer. This was the compromise between heart doctor and RNY doctor.  I wish you good luck...Being educated and knowing what works for you is your best plan...

xraynail
on 1/27/08 4:18 pm - Okeechobee, FL
Thankyou so much for all the helpful information I and going to look in to all of this. Laurie

Most Active
Recent Topics