Revision from RNY to DS

PRETTE84
on 6/4/14 9:43 am - ROSEDALE, NY

Hi

I'm thinking about a revision from RNY to DS. My RNY surgeon is telling me that's not possible once you have RNY ur done. Please share ur results and if you had RNY to DS. I think it's has been done successful before with ppl who had RNY. I requested my medical records and he got a bit defensive I guess. Although I have no medical conditions. Plus had no complications during and after surgery. 4yrs later I could eat as much as I want and anything.

KarenRW
on 6/4/14 3:56 pm - Stockton, CA

OMG, so sorry. Yes, you definitely can go from a RNY to a DS. I did and many others did too. Get yourself to a surgeon who actually does the DS. Try Dr. Roslin is one of them. Well can't think off-hand of others right now. But go to the surgeon list and find some who do do the DS. Also check the "Revision Weight Loss Surgery" forum I think it is. There there are people who have revised to one thing or other. Going to the DS is the top of the line, the platinum of all surgeries. If your current surgeon does not think you should get the DS, then I believe he does not want to really do it. I would definitely check with out surgeons about this. I had RNY in '05 and gained 70 of the 90 pounds I lost. Went to have the DS in '09 and lost 80 pounds, not all of my weight, but being a revision generally one doesnt lose as much. I goofed around too much. I did lose my co-morbidities of diabetes, high BP, and high cholesterol. I do still have some sleep apnea and that may be with me for life.I did have some loose stools early on and that is normal, but it is controllable. Still have lots of gas if I eat too many carbs.  I wish you luck.

Karen

All the best to all of you.

Karen     

cherylbaker
on 6/4/14 6:01 pm

Did dr roslin do your revision? How long were you in the hospital. My surgery is scheduled 7/8

KarenRW
on 6/7/14 5:21 am - Stockton, CA

No, I had Dr. Ara Keshishian out here in California do my revision. He is great at doing revisions. In under 3 hours I was completed and he also takes out the appendix and gallbladder as a matter of routine. I had 0 problems whatsoever and could eat whatever from the get-go. I could not eat a lot though.  I did a few bad things and that could be why I did not lose all my weight, but again as a revision some people do not get to goal. Oh, I was in the hospital for 3 days and then had to go to a motel to be near him since I lived about 200 miles away. I was in the motel till my one week postop surgery and then sent home for the 3 hour drive. We have a private Facebook group for newbies and oldies. Let me go see if I can invite you. 

Karen

Karen

All the best to all of you.

Karen     

cherylbaker
on 6/8/14 12:41 am

Thanks for the.info .. that was what I was planning 3 days in hospital and hotel till 1 week point than 3 hr drive home. Sorry if you have this info posted but what was your starting weight and goal and current weight.. i lost 260lbs with my rny and thankfully did not gain all that back and do not want to get as skinny ad I was after my rny. I just do not want to set my goal to high and not reach it.

I currently at 280 ish and would.like to get to 160 ish but would be OK at 180ish.. sorry for typos typing on phone and for some reason it's not showing what I'm typibg.. and am in the car hshaha

PRETTE84
on 6/4/14 9:47 pm - ROSEDALE, NY

Hey karenRW

Well my RNY doctor which is dr. Merola he doesn't do revisions but I was very surprised when he told me revision from RNY to DS is not possible and don't let ppl feed me garbage about revision. so I'm going to get my medical records from the surgery to give to the DS doctor to see exactly what was done on me. Bcuz I'm back up to 300 lbs where I started. I plan on seeing doctor Rosalin hopefully he takes my insurance.

PRETTE84
on 6/9/14 4:34 am - ROSEDALE, NY

Hey Karen 😀

I can't find that group on Facebook ur telling me about. I'm in Oh DS and I'm in another group call revision and weightloss

Valerie G.
on 6/4/14 9:37 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are oodles of RNY to DS revisions out here, so of course it's possible....just not with THAT surgeon.  

Just don't let him talk you into a ERNY, saying the results are the same.  It's not even close.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PRETTE84
on 6/4/14 9:56 pm - ROSEDALE, NY

Hey Valerie 

what's a ERNY it's like doing the gastric bypass over?

Valerie G.
on 6/4/14 10:34 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

ERNY is a gastic bypass with a shorter limb.  It gives you all of the challenges with RNY and all of the negatives (without the positives) of the DS.  I have a friend who did it and still qualifies for wls years later.  She did not get the results she'd hoped for, and still has to deal with a pouch.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 334 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 800 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views