Let me introduce myself

carebear7391
on 4/26/13 8:04 am - Wilmington, DE

Hi, I'm Carrie... I, just like Lisa, post on the VSG boards (mostly lurk though) but find that when you have A LOT to lose, it's hard to relate.  So when I seen the link for this board, I jumped on it.

About me: I had the realize band done in Delaware in January 2009.  In July 2009, I moved from DE to Buffalo, NY to keep a job.  During the time I lived in DE, I had fill after fill after fill and kept trying to explain that I was getting sick every time I ate.  Don't think the PA got it.  When I moved to Buffalo, I met a really nice woman who told me about her surgeon.  I immediately called as I was tired of getting sick and not holding down foods.  McDonald's and Wendy's shakes became my BFF during this time period.  It was all I could hold down.  The surgeon, Dr. Aaron Hoffman, did a swallow test on me.  The band had not slipped, so he took all the fluid out of it.  I was still getting sick a lot.  But at this point, yogurts and puddings went down.... solids, not so much. 

In the summer of 2011, I went to Dr. Hoffman to discuss removal of the band and having gastric bypass.  At that time, I found out that the realize band had been recalled.  Made the decision that much easier.  If nothing else, I wanted the band gone.  I started the process and in Dec 2011, the band was removed.  WOW, protein shakes stayed down, soup stayed down.  What an amazing feeling. 

On Feb 2,12 I was being prepped for my RNY surgery when Dr. Hoffman came to visit.  At the last minute, he talked me into the sleeve saying how much safer it is and how there is less malabsorption (i can't spell).  I'm bipolar and my one fear was always getting depressed or manic due to problems absorbing the meds.  I changed to the sleeve.  In the first 5 months, I lost about 62#.  Since that time I've lost 10.5#.  (which was in the last 10 days). 

I moved from Buffalo, NY back to Wilmington, DE in July 2012.  Things have been so crazy in my life.  I did follow up with Dr. Hoffman's office while I was living there, however; the nutritional counseling I was given was to do a modified South Beach diet.  Never a calorie total or grams of carbs/protein to stick to.  I posted here (VSG Boards) prior to surgery and then again, last Monday.  Feeling defeated and thinking about going for a third bariatric surgery.  (This time bypass).  The great people on the VSG boards told me about myfitnesspal.com.  Also to stick to 600-800 cal a day with about 30-40 g of carbs a day.  I signed up for the myfitnesspal account that day and since then have lost 10.5#.  YEAH for me.  I did sign up for the seminar for the next bariatric surgery.  Per my insurance, I would not be eligible until after 02/2014.  I also found a nutritionist and got my PCP backing for both working with the nutritionist and having surgery.  I am hoping being here, on these boards, with a nutritionist and logging every bite, lick, and taste will help me achieve my WL goal without undergoing a 3rd surgery.  (WISH ME LUCK). 

Carrie

Laura in Texas
on 4/26/13 8:44 am

Welcome!!

There are lots of sleevers here who have done amazingly well with their weight loss. I hope they chime in to help you. I had RNY 4.6 years ago, so I cannot help you with sleeve questions. I can cheer you on from here, though. Keep your chin up!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

sleevegirl
on 4/26/13 8:57 am - Austin, TX

Welcome.

Revisions tend to lose a little slower, but don't let that deter you. You can ABSOLUTELY do this. Log, Log, Log and Log some more. If it goes in your mouth, log it - even the bad stuff. We spent too years in denial, no need to.

If you stick to it and work your program, I have no doubt you will be successful. ((HUGS))

BTW, the more natural revision is to a DS from a sleeve. While the DS may be overkill (and I'm not sure I could live long term with the side effects), that's what I would look at if I felt I needed to revise, but I'd give yourself a good couple of years before you even think about that.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

KendraB1
on 4/26/13 9:31 am - DE
RNY on 11/05/12
Hello! Im also in wilm, de. If you'd like the 3rd Tuesday of each month is a support group at Christiana Hosp in Newark. Welcome to the forum!
Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/26/13 10:04 am
Hello and welcome. I am also on mfp. My name there is Rosytakesoff so add me if you wish. I second that the DS is a more natural progression after the sleeve but I also second to give it more time before you think about a revision.
Take care hon.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/13 10:09 am

I'm just starting the process to get sleeved, so I don't have any experience I can draw on to help you. I just wanted to wish you the  best with everything. I am also on myfitnesspal. My user name is gwen6971.

KittyKarin
on 4/26/13 11:34 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi Carrie! Welcome to the group.  I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the band but glad you were able to get the VSG.  We really can do this if we focus on ourselves and our health.  I am new to the VSG, less than 4 months out, and its definitely not been the "easy way out" for me. Congrats on getting on the right track and logging your food! I find that exercise and being active really helps me physically and mentally so that might also be something to work into your plan.  It helps me stay on track.

Btw, my sister calls me Carebear too. ;-)

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

EliseG
on 4/26/13 1:33 pm - MA

Hi there :)

I've found this forum extremely helpful, and I hope you stick around with us. I'm angele4200 on MFP if you'd like to add me :)

carebear7391
on 4/26/13 10:20 pm - Wilmington, DE

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!!  It's much appreciated.  I think if I can switch my schedule around at work (I work Tuesday evenings until 6:30 pm) I may try to make the support group at CH.  Thanks for the info about the meetings. 

KendraB1
on 4/27/13 3:25 pm - DE
RNY on 11/05/12
On April 27, 2013 at 5:20 AM Pacific Time, carebear7391 wrote:

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!!  It's much appreciated.  I think if I can switch my schedule around at work (I work Tuesday evenings until 6:30 pm) I may try to make the support group at CH.  Thanks for the info about the meetings. 

Anytime! If you need anything...like a workout buddy- im a member at planet fitness on the riverfront....someone to talk to.... whatever ill send you my number. I mean geez we're in the same dang town! And support is always helpful!
Most Active