Question For Women

jcombs3811
on 6/17/05 9:25 am - Harrison Township, MI
Hello! I am 5 weeks post-op on Monday. Thankfully my depression has passed and I have dropped 3 sizes and 36 pounds. However, I have one question. I have been on my period since I was released from the hospital, over a month now. Is this normal? Has it happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned?
sue C.
on 6/19/05 8:55 am - houston, TX
wow i hope this is nor normal.. idont want to have a 5 week period.. im due for surgurgy on 7-20-05
bonnied
on 6/20/05 9:52 pm - St. Albans, VT
This is what I was told from a Doc. Estrogen is stored in fat. That's why many obese women have irregular periods or do not have them at all. The more fat you have, the less estrogen there is to be available for the body to use. Weight loss releases estrogen, resuming your periods. Also the stress of surgery can trigger a period for some women (it did for me, but only for 2 days). So, Jamie, I'm thinking you are normal. Please make sure you are following recommendations for Iron, etc, and if you are going heavy all the time, you might want to call your doc. Bonnie
Gayle D.
on 7/7/05 1:18 am - Cameron, MO
I actually just went for my annual yesterday (7/6/05) and my Dr. told me to watch for a period that last more than seven days or if you go through a pad an hour. She suggested to me that if periods become irregular, they may put you on some type of birth control to help regulate them. Hope all turns out well. Gayle
Lauri D.
on 7/30/05 5:44 am - Phoenix, AZ
Before surgery, I had no periods. I actually had to go on birth control patches 4 times a year in order to induce a period. My doctor told me it was because of my weight and if I lost weight, they would come back. Well, I am almost 8 months post op, 92 pounds down and still have not had a period!! I am going to follow up with my doc, but I think that is weird! My best friend always had horrible periods before her surgery, with nausea, sweating and cramps that would knock her down for 2 days. Again she was told that it was because of her weight and once she lost weight they would get better. Well, she is 1 year post op, 145 pounds down, and still has the same horrible periods. I am not so sure how much weight plays into the whole period thing Lauri
Gayle D.
on 8/1/05 2:29 am - Cameron, MO
I agree. I have been overweight the majority of my life. But my periods have been regular as clockwork. And still are. I thought that after gastric bypass they may stop but no luck.
Scale Ho
on 8/4/05 3:44 pm - Ernest & Julioville, CA
Damn the luck! My sister is 4 years older than me and she says it hasnt happened for 2 years for her. Hurray! Light at the end of the tunnel!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8486 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11027 views