ANOREXIA...

Justa M.
on 5/30/05 1:14 pm - New York, NY
Hello Everyone, I am not really new to this site. Actually, I had my surgery 17 months ago and achieved goal without a problem. But, once I got to goal, even though I may have looked thin, I still wanted to lose more, and I became addicted to seeing the losses. I am now underweight - but not because of the surgery, its because I severely restrict my calories. I don't resent the surgery at all - it saved me. But, I was recently diagnosed with Anorexia, and I am now seeing a therapist and I am under treatment. According to my surgeon, Anorexia can occur in a very small percentage of post WLS patients who achieve great success with their surgeries, but for some reason or another, become addicted with weight loss, body image, and food control. I was totally shocked to come to the realization that I was one of these people when I went to the doctor for another illness, that I was causing myself by not eating. The reason I am writing this is because I am looking for others who may have experienced this kind of problem. I have so many questions. In truth, I am a well-established and respected member of ObesityHelp, and I purposefully created this new fake profile to log in with, so that nobody would know who I really was. I am so ashamed of this problem. Everyone who knows me on ObesityHelp thinks of me as a very successfull post-op, who has surpassed their goal weight, and is very active in ObesityHelp. I must admit, I look so terrific when I am clothed, but naked, my ribs and back bone stick out. I can honestly say that I have caused myself to lose too much weight, but just knowing about the problem doesn't fix it, which is why I am secretly in therapy now. Any insight would be great - I would really like to share this with someone who is having similar problems. Thanks much, Justa Mann
Connie A.
on 6/1/05 1:35 am - MO
Dear Justa Mann, I just wanted to post a reply because I read your note the other day and I see that there have been no public responces. My heart goes out to you. I hope you are getting plenty of support and help sent straight to your mail box! While I cannot help you or offer any advice, I can tell you that I'm happy that you are in therapy and I hope you find the help and peace you need. I am sure you are not alone and I hope that others are comming to your aid.
patty P.
on 6/1/05 1:39 pm - sioux city, IA
You poor thing. Its ok to come out and get help. I just had a counseler email me for lack of support I was getting. You should email her. She has been through the procedure too. I dont have the same issue but none the less she was willing to come to my support without pre judging me which I thought was very cool. The hardest steps to getting better are always the first ones. Having multiple points of views and oppions is always a good thing. You will get through this because you have friends that care about you no matter how you look, and because there is a valuable person inside you that must go on to fullfill your god given purpose in life. Just email me directly and I will give you her email I'm sure she can provide some valuable insight and advise. [email protected]
DEBI
on 6/3/05 12:34 am - Indianapolis, IN
Hi Justa, I was afraid of becoming food intolerant in the first 4-6 months....I wasn't eating anything....anorexic. And I became protein malnurished....my hands and feet got HUGE with the swelling and water retention. Anyhow...I had to force myself to eat 3 times a day (but it was only a tablespoon at a time)....so I know how you can get the way you are. It is so easy to become uninterested in food....it was such a chore to eat. I am better now and I am 10 months out. I still have trouble with meat (ugh) but I seem to love to eat veggies. Good luck to you and I hope you are able to overcome your problem. I fear gaining the weight back....so I can see myself going in the same direction as you...I am glad to hear from someone who is there and realizes they have the problem and is taking steps to fix it.
Jenny X.
on 6/7/05 4:53 am - Englewood, OH
I've heard that obeisty and anoxeria are 2 faces of the same problem. I suggest that you see a therapist who deals with these types of issues. I go through spells where I won't eat even though my present BMI is over 60; for me it is always a control issue. Short of tieing you down with an IV no one can make you eat and no one can make you stop eating. It can be the only thing that one can control in a life that is in other ways out of control. There are probably as many reasons to not eat as there are people and that is why I really suggest the therapist. Keep trying until you find one you are comfortable talking with as not all therapists are right for all people.
Ramona E.
on 8/18/05 3:08 am - Beardstown, IL
Hello Justa Mann: Yes it is a fact after WLS a percentage of WLS patients do become anorexic..or have anorexic tendancies It is because they are so fearful of gaining the weight back that they keep themselves from eating. I also am one of these people. I am two years out and my hunger signal has not come back yet. My nutrionist who is absolutely terrific has helped me alot to see what I am subconsciously doing to myself. It is hard very hard. I can not eat hardly any veggies at all because they hurt I can eat some meat but not much. It is so funny to go from being obese to having another eating problem only on the other end of the scale....My Dr and nutr. are also telling me to eat more that I am not eating enough. I have had low blood sugar episodes which are definately NOT FUN...once I was low enough to go into a coma I was like 38-40 on my blood sugar. I did this to get healthy and when I don't eat I am making my body sick again only in a different way. I wanted a lifestyle change for the good. I have that. SInce my last meeting with my nutr. I have started my food diary again keeping track of the protein intake. I was only getting like 23 grams a day now I have realy worked to get it up to 40. It's not easy when your not hungry......Food is no longer a priority in my life but my health is I worked very hard to get where I am at now....and I am sure you have too. Keep seeing your therapist and work through your issues. If you would like to e-mail me and talk that would be great too SUpport is always a great thing...Take care and good luck to you. Ramona 346/162
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/05 5:34 pm - Makawao-Maui, HI
Hi there, I actually have made a suggestion to OH.com to create a new message board for featherweights. Those who can't keep weight on or have gone way past their goal. You all have your own unique issues to talk about. Maybe if you suggest it too they will make a board. Maybe they need several people to suggest it. I think it would be a great idea. How many calories do you eat a day? How often do you excercise and how long?
crishunt
on 1/3/06 12:06 am - Archer, FL
Mitzi I think this is an excellent idea! There are so many issues regarding being underweight that I have never delt with before and would love to talk with others who are have similar issues. I'll suggest it to OH.com also. Best Wishes, Crissy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8487 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9053 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11027 views