I know this sounds silly but...

aimeexx
on 4/21/04 3:17 am - Beaumont, CA
will I ever be able to drink a beer again? I am 1 week post op, still in the REGRETS stage, but have lost 21 lbs so far. I miss eating so much, but mostly I am upset because Of all the things I might never be able to have again. Will I????? Aimee
Tere B.
on 4/22/04 9:21 am - Sheridan, WY
Hi Aimee; It doesn't sound silly at all. I made a life choice about 7 years ago to stop drinking and many times I have wished for a beer. If you had a RNY by-pass with a pouch . . . The carbonation in the beer (or soda)will stretch your pouch and worse yet it will stretch the connection between the pouch and your small intestine. This will cause you to loose a great deal of the benefit that you went through that painful surgery to gain. I have a friend who had a bypass last November and she drinks beer but she also gained back 5 pounds over the weekend. Is it worth it? You will be suprised at how many of the things you think you may never have again you will be able to have again in time. But, as you loose the weight and find yourself fitting into that wonderful little black dress you may find that you really don't want those things after all. I also quit smoking about 5 years ago and went through the loss grief over that too. I think we do that with anything we enjoy or especially things we crave. I know that when I have my surgery chocolate will join the ranks of forbidden. Take it easy on yourself. Find something new to love. Look for the low cal/low carb substitutes. Try Propel Fitness water. I love it and it has vitamins in it. Don't focus on what you will be giving up for the rest of your life, focus on what you can have today and really enjoy each bite. Remember it is no longer about quantity but quality. If you ever do drink a beer make sure it is warm an flat (you won't think it is such a great loss that way). Good Luck and God Bless you. Tere
Lisa E.
on 5/15/04 11:18 am - Winston-Salem, NC
I am having my surgery in 10 days. Last week I was going through this weird "what am I doing" all because of not being able to drink soda after surgery. I am a big Coke drinker, converted from Pepsi, a couple years ago. Coke is my coffee. I don't drink coffee or tea so I was freakin' out that I'd never have that burning, carbonated feeling or taste ever again. But then I looked up soda in the AMOS Library and after reading about how it made some people feel or how sick it made others, it cured my anxieties. I think that once you do lose the weight, that will become your focus and not the things you CAN"T have. My mother had her surgery in Jan '04 and she is down 60 pounds already. She said that what she's going through now in the weightloss and feeling so good is MUCH better than any SODA or any BEER she could ever have. So that's how I think about it. And when my friends are over drinking beer or I'm at their house , I told them I'll have my water bottle or crystal light while I parade in front of them butt-ass naked after my 100+ weightloss. HA HA! And one more thing, I don't know how many of you actual went through additional therapy other than your initial psych eval, but I've found for myself that half the time I would drink so much at social events was to get that quick buzz so I could be the life of the party without any inhibitions or worries about my weight. You know how they say big people are always "jolly", well I've come to realize that it's usually because we're trying to hide the pain we've been feeling normally since childhood. Okay, I'll step down off my soap box now! Best of luck to everyone! Beer is nearly not as important as your health and well-being!
LG_Ramone
on 4/23/04 11:12 pm - Parma, OH
Beer? Since my surgery I noticed that as long as I have no food in my pouch,, fluids run straight through. My pouch never fills with liquid on an empty stomach so when it comes to drinking,, I can pound down more beer now than before my surgery. I can also do the same with coffee, tea diet coke etc,, You do have to watch the calories though. The carbonation can cause a bit of gas so make sure to get some of the carbonation out beforehand if you have problems tolerating it. As for regrets,, after about a year you'll be so used to eating so little,, it'll all seem normal and when you see you can eat more than you thought you could you'll feel like you ate like everyone else even though you really didn't.
carlaruth
on 5/5/04 12:22 am - Winston-Salem, NC
Hi Aimee, I haven't had my surgery yet, but I have some thoughts about the foods and drinks that will not be on the menu for me in the future. Yes, in the future I expect that I can't have beer, chocolate, etc. But also, I won't have diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea and the rest, and I probably won't die of a heart attack when I'm 50. With this surgery, I will probably live to be an old lady and be able to dance at my grandchildren's weddngs. If that costs me all the beer I would have drank and all the snickers bars I would have eaten had I not had the surgery, it seems to me it's a fair trade. All the best to you, Carla
Dawn D.
on 5/7/04 1:03 pm
I heard you get drunk faster when youre banded. I dont know if its true as i havent been out drinking yet.. anyone else know?
krystaleyes_1999
on 5/27/04 8:49 am - Ft Leavenworth, KS
Yes my friend had the lap band done a year ago and she said it only takes her 2 drinks and she is gone lol
patblaney
on 6/2/04 8:59 am - Huntersville, NC
Aimee, Early after surgery, there are lots of things it is best to avoid because of the healing and adjusting our bodies have to do. I think that can be the most scary thing because the idea of never being able to have a certain food again might make us go for the "last supper" more than once! I am 2-1/2 years out and there is pretty much no restrictions in my diet. I have to be careful not to overdo (which I do sometimes!) and there are some things my body just cannot tolerate anymore (like dairy) but in moderation, I am not feeling deprived. I even have a drin****asionally. Be patient, enjoy the "honeymoon" period as the weight comes off and you will learn how to incorporate all those "forbidden" foods back into your diet.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8487 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9053 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11027 views