VSG Regrets?

Ms_DeB
on 7/15/08 2:58 pm - Waycross, GA
HI I'm Deb  I haven't ever posted on this forum before, just found it tonight. My question is VSG regrets...Any???? Anybody??? I'm pre-op and I'm still trying to get together any/all information  I possibly can get, Good AND Bad...Appreciate your time 
Christie N.
on 8/11/08 8:27 am - Riverton, UT
I had the RNY almost 2 months ago, so I don't have any experience to give you, but I do have a few bits of info to share.  Here is a comparison chart of the surgeries:

http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Weight regain may be more likely than in other procedures if dietary modifications not adopted for life on VSG.   Utilized for high risk or very heavy (BMI > 60 kg/m2) patients as a "first-stage" procedure.  

I've read that a lot of VSG end up doing DS or RNY because they gain back the weight they lost or just aren't happy with the VSG.   Yes, RNY is a permanent thing and there is malabsorption.   But if you stay current with your bloodwork and labs and take the correct vitamins, you should be fine.   I'm so glad I did the RNY!!  50 lbs gone in less than 2 months!!!  

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

melinda C.
on 8/30/08 3:41 pm - hamilton, Canada
On August 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM Pacific Time, Christie N. wrote:
I had the RNY almost 2 months ago, so I don't have any experience to give you, but I do have a few bits of info to share.  Here is a comparison chart of the surgeries:

http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Weight regain may be more likely than in other procedures if dietary modifications not adopted for life on VSG.   Utilized for high risk or very heavy (BMI > 60 kg/m2) patients as a "first-stage" procedure.  

I've read that a lot of VSG end up doing DS or RNY because they gain back the weight they lost or just aren't happy with the VSG.   Yes, RNY is a permanent thing and there is malabsorption.   But if you stay current with your bloodwork and labs and take the correct vitamins, you should be fine.   I'm so glad I did the RNY!!  50 lbs gone in less than 2 months!!!  
I dont know how accurate the information is with that link in regards to the different surgeries, they conveniently forgot to mention the possible regaining with the RNY... I think the bottom line is with the RNY and the VSG you have to remember it is a tool and if you dont do the changes mentally you are just setting yourself up to possibly regaining weight. 
Christie N.
on 9/1/08 10:59 am - Riverton, UT
I agree it's a tool but with the RNY, you have the malabsorption factor that helps keep the weight off (besides staying on a healthy diet) vs just a normal stomach with the VSG.   My doctor said that 20-25% of my intestines were bypassed...So I'm absorbing less than someone that had the VSG and won't absorb as much as the fat, calories and other things in food/drinks I consume. 

Hit goal weight of 140 at 13 months out from RNY!! 130 pounds GONE! 

sperk
on 9/2/08 6:14 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
wow I guess you are a real blond.
melinda C.
on 9/2/08 5:01 pm - hamilton, Canada
On September 2, 2008 at 1:14 PM Pacific Time, sperk wrote:
wow I guess you are a real blond.
Why would you say something like that? 
HeatherBlood
on 9/11/08 4:54 am - Anchorage, AK
Wow, I guess you are a real jerk.

HeatherB
327/320/172/209/185
Highest/Before surgery/lowest/Current/New Goal!
10 years out in June!

Melody L.
on 9/21/08 2:25 pm - Keizer, OR
Is it not possible to believe in your own surgery without putting someone else down?  It is called a "support" board for a reason!!!!

~Melody
fiveholts714
on 11/22/08 1:25 am - St. George, UT
This is a support board.  Go somewhere else and be rude.  You are not wanted here.
sperk
on 11/22/08 10:06 am - moorhead, MN
VSG on 02/01/08 with
Wow you also must be blond replying to a 3 month old post.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Endoscopic sleeve
stephgfl · 2 replies · 891 views
The last 35 month
julielynn · 3 replies · 8486 views
Misery Loves Company
lbmg · 1 replies · 9052 views
I want it reversed!
fatfifty · 8 replies · 11027 views